Would it be possible to create an infra-red mechanical switch?

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by rp., Sep 8, 2007.

1. rp.

rp.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a hifi amplifier which can only be turned on or off by a power button located on the unit.

I would like to be able to turn the device on or off using a remote control.

Would it be possible to build a small infra-red switch which could do the job?

I imagine the device would comprise:
    - an infra-red receiver;
    - a small mechanical spring-loaded arm, which would push in and out, in order to turn the amp power switch on or off; and
    - Some form of small power supply in order to power the small spring-loaded arm?

Can anyone please advise - is this likely to be something which I could realistically build? Thanks.

2. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Much simpler would be to leave the amplifier switched on and fit a remote controlled plug between it and the mains. These are usually rf (radio fequency) rather than ir but you can pick them up in maplin, argos etc and lots of other places for as little as a fiver and you can often have as many as 4 to 8 running off a single remote control if you have any other kit that you similalrly want ot turn on/off. Of course if you also want to control the socket from a multi system remote commander you will need one that supports rf as well as ir, can't name but they are out there. It's certainly a whole lot simpler than building an ir servo to turn your amp on and off, especially as you would need to leave the servo connected to the power.

3. rp.

rp.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There are no such plugs, with IR, in existence.

That is the reason that I am asking this question, here.

4. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Most are rf because they tend to be in obscured positions where you couldn't hit them with an ir signal. I am sure i have seen some ir ones somewhere, will see if I can find them, otherwise is an rf one no good? like I said you can get remote commanders that do rf as well as ir so you wouldn't need an extra remote if that's a problem. It's got to be easier than building an ir controled servo to push the button.

5. rp.

rp.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You make a very good point.

Do you know of any universal remote controls which include RF functionality?

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    what you wish to do is complex and not cheap it can be done using solenoids and 12Vtriigers but remotes with 12V triggers are expensive however an inteligent plug system that has an option to switch mains on wen other devices are powered could work (ie CD player triggers AMP operation etc)

7. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Sorry don't know any straight off specifically, I think at least some of the logitech harmony range support ir and rf and at least one sony and marantz multisystem control, certainly some of the the very expensive philips pronto range, I am sure there are a lot more, when I was looking for a simple ir multi-remote I kept seeing them online though they are at the more expensive end of remotes. Not the typical sort you see on the high street which are just ir, though Richer Sounds might well be a good place to start. If all else fails try google or look at topics like home automation.
    since you only need to control a plug I would look around for a cheap one, the high level prontos are capable of running your whole house which is much more than you need.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    FOR logitech to work on RF you would need a Z-wave plug module i ahvent seen one but they may exist