Would it be possible to buy SKY HD Box From Parabolic And Still use the Hard Drive?

Entertainment

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I've been wondering...
Would it be possible to buy a SKY HD Box from:
http://www.parabolic.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=243
To use it to get BBC HD (Use it as a freesat box) and still be able to record stuff to the Hard Drive.

Thanks,
Andrew.

PS: The reason why i will have to get freesat hd with my new kit (Early 2007 i'll have it all!), SKY HD subscription would be to expensive until i get more money :D ;)

Not without paying £10 a month to Sky to enable the Sky+ features you wouldn't no.

What about if i just simply wanted to record? Non of the features like from your mobile, online, etc. Just simple recording onto it.

You need a £10 a month sub to record anything

As Sparky said, you will have to pay Sky to get the recording features active.
Its one of those annoying things a bout Sky. They sell you a box that can record but you have to pay them extra to be able to use the feature.

So it would just be cheaper to get multi-room with sky hd? We have the "Sky world" package ;) So that would be £299 for the box, £10 sky hd sub, £10 for multi-room and free sky+ sub because we get the sports and movies. So the first month will cost just... £319 :D

Entertainment said:
So it would just be cheaper to get multi-room with sky hd? We have the "Sky world" package ;) So that would be £299 for the box, £10 sky hd sub, £10 for multi-room and free sky+ sub because we get the sports and movies. So the first month will cost just... £319 :D

Yes, that would be the best way to go.

Entertainment said:

Plus your 40 odd smackers for $ky world don't forget........every month, from now until the day you die, or beyond if your executor forgets to cancel the DD! (or until NTL get HD of course) ;)

This is probabily the right thread to post this (hopefully)

If i was to buy a Sky HD box from someone else other than Sky such ://www.parabolic.co.uk/catalog/p...roducts_id=243
what is the average cost to get an engineer to install it....I have Sky plus upstairs and downstairs already....

Would my viewing card still remain the same and would it just be a matter of contacting Sky getting the box and card paired up then subscribing to the £10 per month 'deal' to allow recording

thanks
KEV

Theoretically yes, but you may have a hard time to get Sky agents to admit that it's possible. And you would only get one HD channel, so would it be worth it ?

I know this has been discussed to death, and I dont want to start another huge debate...

BUT....

Just suppose....., hypothetically, that I bought a second-hand sky+ box, with no contract with Sky, and no subscription.

Imagine also that I found a way of activating the Sky+ features by using a 9volt battery and a paperclip. (impossible, i agree, but just suppose I did...)

Would I be breaking the law by using sky+ in this way?
I would not have breached any contract, as there isn't one!

I never understood the marketing line for Sky+ at £10: the box is mine, I have bought it, I want to record FTA programmes, yet I have to pay Sky for it. I got so annoyed with (and the analogous trick with multiroom) that ended up cancelling my Sky subscription, and I am surprised Sky managed to keep the fee running for so long withour more people doing like me. (Now, I'd like to get some HD source, which is why I am again wandering on forums like this...)

Surely there must be non-Sky boxes on their way to us providing HDsat+PVR capabilities. Would anybody know of any reputable attempt? Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom