Would it be pointless buying an Oppo 970HD if Im only going to use the Composite out?

Scottyyy

I'm still not sure if I want to pay the full price for an Oppo 981, so I'm thinking about buying the cheaper 970HD and have it imported from America. I'll be using it equally as an SACD player and DVD player. But my question is, as the American one doesn't have SCART, would it be worth buying such an expensive DVD player when I'm only going to be using the composite inputs?

My TV only supports SCART and composite you see.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Zappes

Novice Member
This would be a complete waste of money, if you ask me. If you only use composite, you can as well buy the cheapest piece of semi-junk you find on amazon... Better get some european player that has a decent SCART/RGB output.

Scottyyy

This would be a complete waste of money, if you ask me. If you only use composite, you can as well buy the cheapest piece of semi-junk you find on amazon... Better get some european player that has a decent SCART/RGB output.
I thought so.

Would you say it was worth it if I was using SCART? Note that I want this DVD player to last a long time, and I will be upgrading my TV at some point to something decent.

Zappes

Novice Member
Well. SCART alone isn't enough - the Plug carries Composite, RGB and S-Video signals. Composite over SCART is obviously just as ad as composite over coax. RGB over SCART is just about the best you can get in terms of picture quality, at least for an SD CRT. S-Video is decent, too.

So you should make sure that your TV can handle RGB or at least S-Video over SCART. If it can, go for a player with SCART output. If it can't, buy a new TV or just the cheapest player you can get - everything else is a waste of money.

Another word of advice: Cheap SCART cables will not carry the RGB or S-Video signal, just composite... Make sure to use cables that can handle RGB.

Scottyyy

Well. SCART alone isn't enough - the Plug carries Composite, RGB and S-Video signals. Composite over SCART is obviously just as ad as composite over coax. RGB over SCART is just about the best you can get in terms of picture quality, at least for an SD CRT. S-Video is decent, too.

So you should make sure that your TV can handle RGB or at least S-Video over SCART. If it can, go for a player with SCART output. If it can't, buy a new TV or just the cheapest player you can get - everything else is a waste of money.

Another word of advice: Cheap SCART cables will not carry the RGB or S-Video signal, just composite... Make sure to use cables that can handle RGB.
I'm not sure if the TV supports RGB SCART though. It's a very very old Philips 21PT1557. I've tried google'ing for some specs can't find anything about the SCART.

Also, could you link me to a decent SCART cable?

Thanks a lot mate.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
If I were you I would get a decent TV first, then go for the DVD player. Watching any DVD player through composite and to a lesser extent scart, will only look crap. Whereas if you get a decent TV first, then buy the DVD player later and connect it all up correctly you should be blown away.

Scottyyy

If I were you I would get a decent TV first, then go for the DVD player. Watching any DVD player through composite and to a lesser extent scart, will only look crap. Whereas if you get a decent TV first, then buy the DVD player later and connect it all up correctly you should be blown away.
OK thanks.

Well I don't actually have a DVD player at the moment, which is why I was looking to buy a decent now -- and a TV later. I've only ever used SCART and Composite to watch films, so it's not like I'd be dissapointed with the Oppo as I'd know what to expect. The only DVD player I have is an LG DVD5063, but there's a problem with it. It looks great, sounds great (no VERY loud buzzing noises when I plug my headphones into my TV like my other two DVD players) but for some reason it always seems to lose audio / video sync.

It has to be the player because when it started losing sync, I switched the disk over to the Xbox 360 to carry on watching, and the video and audio didn't lose sync at all. It's a shame really because it looks really good compared to the other players and Xbox 360.

My brother is always using his 360 though (that doesn't make a loud buzzing noise either -- but the picure isn't so good) so I can't watch many DVD's on it. So I just need a player as I don't have one that actually does a good job right now.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I see your point, but it would be like buying a set of shiny alloy wheels, then sticking them on a beat up old Lada.

If your DVD player is really knackered, just spend £15 for a supermarket one, then get a decent TV, then get a decent DVD player.

But it's up to you obviously. That's how I would do it.

Scottyyy

I see your point, but it would be like buying a set of shiny alloy wheels, then sticking them on a beat up old Lada.

If your DVD player is really knackered, just spend £15 for a supermarket one, then get a decent TV, then get a decent DVD player.

But it's up to you obviously. That's how I would do it.
Yes but wouldn't a cheap £15 one have poor audio like the other cheap ones I've got? My mum bought a cheap one as a replacement about a month ago, and I can't stand to use it because the buzzing noise when I use my headphones is unbearable. It can honestly be heard over the vocals. Another slighly more expensive (about 2 years old though) but still cheap player does the same.

Scottyyy

Well, I have decided to save up a bit more and get a Samsung LE26R87BDX. The Oppo should go well with that TV, right?

Zappes

Novice Member
The Samsung should work nicely with the Oppo, especially if you connect it via HDMI.

badbob

Banned
What's your viewing distance? 26" is only really just suitable for bedroom system.

Scottyyy

What's your viewing distance? 26" is only really just suitable for bedroom system.
Not very far. 2 meters at most. I sit quite close to the screen, which is why I only went for a small size. I actually made a thread in the LCD section. 26" was the maximum I was going for, and was recommended the Samsung.

And yeah it's for bedroom use. It's only going to be used for watching DVD's with my headphones and the occasional Xbox 360 game.

Zappes

Novice Member
At 2 meters I'd recommend 32" if you can afford it. I currently have 32" at 2,8 meters distance and I think it's way too small... I'll get the new Sony 46X3500 as soon as it's out in europe. :)

Scottyyy

At 2 meters I'd recommend 32" if you can afford it. I currently have 32" at 2,8 meters distance and I think it's way too small... I'll get the new Sony 46X3500 as soon as it's out in europe. :)
I can't really afford one mate.

I've got £400 to spend and the LE26R87 fits the budget nicely. Besides, I've never had a TV bigger than 21" in my room so I think I'll be happy with it. :)

badbob

Banned
At 2M 32" is too small for 2:35 films (fine for 1:85 though) I would hate a 26"
I'm at the exact same distance, with a 40".

Scottyyy

At 2M 32" is too small for 2:35 films (fine for 1:85 though) I would hate a 26"
I'm at the exact same distance, with a 40".
Hmm, I must've got my estimates wrong then. I should probably measure it properly.

Well from were I'm sitting a 21" is definitely not too small.

And unless there's any decent 32" TV's for £400, which I doubt, then I can't go higher than 26" anyway.

Zappes

Novice Member
And unless there's any decent 32" TV's for £400, which I doubt, then I can't go higher than 26" anyway.
I don't know about current prices in the UK, but in Germany you can get the Toshiba 32C3000P for something like £400. Perhaps that one would be affordable if you saved just some more money?

Sorry for bothering you with that topic, but I really think that buying a 26" isn't such a good idea nowadays.

Scottyyy

I don't know about current prices in the UK, but in Germany you can get the Toshiba 32C3000P for something like £400. Perhaps that one would be affordable if you saved just some more money?

Sorry for bothering you with that topic, but I really think that buying a 26" isn't such a good idea nowadays.
You're probably right.

Which is why I've raised my budget and am deciding between the Toshiba you mention (but the one with freeview, C3030DB I think it's called), the Samsung R87 32" or the Panasonic TX-32LMD70.

It's a difficult choice. :(

Zappes

Novice Member
The reason why I bought the Toshiba (which will soon be replaced by the 46" Sony X3500) and not the Samsung was that the Samsung doesn't have the picture mode called "Smart" by Sony and "SuperLive 1" by Toshiba.

This mode is used for stretching 4:3 material to 16:9 format without too much distortion: First the Image is zoomed a bit, then it's stretched to full width with the borders being stretched more than the middle of the picture. The effect is a bit like using a wide-ange lens and looks a lot better than black pillars on either side of the picture or simple stretching. The big Samsung sets seem to have that mode (it's called "panorama" there), but for a reason unknown to me Samsung seems to have decided that you don't need that for a 32" TV.

You might want to check for that feature before buying either the Samsung or the Panasonic. The Toshiba can do it for sure.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett