1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would it be complete overkill...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gingercat, Jun 18, 2003.

1. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    ...to buy an IScan Ultra for my AE100?

The thinking is that I want a properly de-interlaced progressive image (which the ProV doesn't produce), and don't want to need to keep swapping input leads all the time depending on what source I'm using.

What do you think then? Am I mad? I'm certainly not loaded with cash, so if it's a waste of money, please say!

Edit: Oh, and if it is worth getting, where's the cheapest place to get one from? Best so far is TMF for £513.48inc http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/homecinema_videoscalers.htm

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    It'll give your 100 a hell of a boost, but think beyond your AE100 to what you might be running in the future and an Iscan Ultra starts to make a lot of sense.

The Aspect Ratio Control feature makes the Ultra more flexible than the Iscan Pro, and an output via DVI s as well as RGB and YPbPr mean it will be compatible with future projectors for some time to come.

Regards

3. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about using a HTPC? After all, a Home theatre PC with a video capture card would be able to play DVD progressively, play games, act as a personal video recorder and a TV tuner (with a nebula digiTV card) and capture sources such as VHS and convert to progressive. plus you can play games, surf the web and play MP3 files.

You can build all that for about the same cost as an Iscan..

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,019
    go the Iscan route. One of the best things I ever did. I have Sky Digital ging through mine as well as some games consoles..infact anything that doesn;t output progressively itself hits the Iscan on the way to my PJ..;)

5. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for the feedback chaps!

John_N: you could have a point there about going the HTPC route, I have played DVDs through my PC running powerstrip and they look fantastic - I do tend to prefer standalone hardware though to booting up a PC... aargh - too many choices. Perhaps a MiniITX HTPC may present the best option...

6. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just in the process of building my 2nd HTPC. I intend to make this one very quiet so it can sit in my viewing room.

I currently use a nebula digi TV viewing card for terrestrial digital viewing. I don't use sky - for the reason that they try to cram lots of channels into not much bandwidth so the picture quality is not fantastic as I'm sure anyone who has tried sky on a projector knows.

I use Theatertek on my HTPC - I've tried WinDVD and PowerDVD and theatertek was the best for me.

I use Girder and an ATI remote wonder but soon I'm going to use an IR remote control instead. Overall, you can manage to make the HTPC a pretty useable piece of kit. I prefer it - but then I don't have lots of sources that I want to convert to progressive so it actually makes my life easier. For others it might make more sense to use an iscan.

Rgds
    J

7. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    what about rgb scart? - i see no scalers having scart/rgb scart input

This suggests you would have to convert rgb scart to component etc first (?).

8. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    SCART is a "European only" type plug, and since most scalers are designed for the American or World markets then the manufacturers prefer to use sockets that are more universal.

Ditto RGB. Component is the prefered signal format for the influential American market.

Regards