Would it be cheaper/better...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mikee_j, May 1, 2007.

1. mikee_j

mikee_j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm moving home and will be getting a nice new LCD TV with surround sound and the works!

would it be worth getting some quotes from installers? All i'm looking for is a 32" LCD, DVD player, PS3, amp, surround soud speakers and a sub, with all the necessary cabling. I could sort it out all myself but am struggling to find the time to do it! How much more expensive would it be to get a custom installer in to sort out everything?

and if anyone could recommend some companies to approach in the Fulham/SW london area...

thanks... :smashin:

2. dj-dulux

dj-dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    As you already have the kit you will pay for just install and some cables, the install company will not be able to offset the price with anything they make money on. Therefore the price may scare you, I would think for chasing cables and install + set up you will be looking at around £1500.... If no chasing of cables then days work for 2, therefore around £600.

3. jonnyt

jonnyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi there,

roughly where abouts are you in the world? as there can sometimes be a little price difference as london can often be a little more pricey than say, up north.

what sort of property is it? new / old (1930's or older) do you wish for anything 'fancy' other than a screen hanging on the wall? recessed screen? custom remote programming? ISF screen calibration?

i would guestimate that 800-ish could be a very rough ball-park figure.

perhaps it may seem like a lot of cash, but a well integrated system (the difference between a custom installer and say, your average builder doing the work) should be a pleasure to watch, listen, and use - not forgetting ease of use.

there are some absolutely cracking installers on the list!!

regards,
    Jonathan

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    how about you take a step back and instead of picking kit pick what you want the system to do, would you not prefer a 42" screen? custom install and install are very different custom install includes control of the kit, location and install ation, installation is more how much to put this here or there there may be lots of opitons that are available but you wouldnt think of with out an experienced installer to direct you.