1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would it be better to leave the hifi amp without a sub?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by William Shin, Jan 25, 2003.

1. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having read through Velo CHT10 threads particularly juboy's thread(Q150e vs CHT10 which is brillient in my opinion!) made up my mind to get this sub from Eric. I won't mention him again as almost everyone in this forum knows he is an exellent guy. No doubt!:D

Over a week I carefully tuned and integrated with other system.
    Also made a direct comparison between CHT10 and Rel Quake which I keep.

The result? more or less the same as juboy's.

Quake: small, well finished, flexible (individual x-over and volume controls for high and low input)
    gives punch, present, exciting sound but bit rumbling and struggling when it hits low bass

Velo CHT10: big, heavy, reasonably well finish, less flexible than Quake(due to single x-over and volume control)
    sound goes down far deeper than Quake with less distortion, tuneful, producing deep bass in a gentle, convincing manner

When I looked at the size of both subs I thought Velo must produce bass very aggressively but actually it is oposite.
    Quake produces quite punch, forward bass in somehow aggresive manner and Velo produces deep, clean bass in a gentle manner.

But When it comes to music Velo sounds bit less exiting than Quake in my personal taste.

For films both sound quite good but velo produces much deeper real quality bass than Quake (WOW, real cinema sounds!). Definately Velo is a winner in this area!

So far refering to an av amp setup using a low level interconnect.

Problem is when they are connected via a high level input from the hifi amp neither sub seems to improve bass. :( I think there are various factors to affect it, e.g. amp, x-over point, bad recording, etc.

I tried several reference cds with and without a sub and found it sound better without a sub. (when I listen to music through my av receiver, on the contrary it sounds better with a sub)

So my question is would it be better to leave the hifi amp without a sub or do I need to upgrade the amp or sub later on, or which one to upgrade to improve sound more efficiently?

Anyway, I have decided to take speaker wires out from an amp and a sub for a while until I get some decent.... I donno!:blush:

2. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you like your sound using CD without the Sub then don't get one!!! Then again as you do like the Velo with the movies, get it and use it only for the movies!!!!

Simple...that's what I do...

3. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean you only use a sub for watching films?

I wonder whether most guys in this forum use a receiver+sub for listening to music(mainly CDs) or a dedicated two channel amp with or without a sub.

4. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I only use the sub for movies. I do use my AV amp but switch off all processing so that I only have amplification.

To be honest I hate a sub with normal music. It just doesn't sound natural to me.

A sub for effects when watching a movie, most definitely....

5. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree with you as far as my gears are concerned.
    Unless you adjust volume level each tracks you will hear some awful bass dominating by a sub in certain tracks.

However I still believe people out there enjoying music by using amp+sub. Of cause it may depend on what sort of gears they are using.

Such decent subs as Velo HGS, Paradigm Servo or Rel ST when they say they are musical does it mean all AV setup(using av processor or receiver)?