• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Would i there be a issue Using a 15 meter HDMI cable from my Computer upstairs to TV Downstairs

just wondering

Established Member
I would like to game on my tv downstairs , but i am wondering will a 15 meter HDMI cable (ebay 12.99) really work ? or am i likely to get sync issues , loss of picture quality (noticable)

I was pondering buying a new system for my work in my office upstairs and moving my office/gaming pc downstairs.....but then i thought hmmmmmmmmmmmm

15 meter HDMI cable + 15 Meter USB ext cable with a USB hub , should do the trick , subject to the lenght of the cables causing a issue , i would pretty much wrap up the cables when i finish gaming , Untidy method , but hey what ever works at a cheap cost !!!

All advice / alternative ideas welcomed :)

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
i dunno about 15m, but i use a 10m without any issue at all. Any other cabling i have thats longer than that is cat6, which is an alternate option, as well as wireless, but i dunno the efficacy of the latter.

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
A decent quality HDMI cable should be fine over a longer run. You don't have to spend silly money. I would check one of the online retailers like UKHDMI. Bought a few cables from them and they've all been good.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
I bought a 10m HDMI cable from a site called HDCables.co.uk (which doesn't seem to exist any more), it's fine going straight from the PC to my monitor/projector, but putting it through my Yamaha amp messes the picture up for some reason.

You may need to try a couple of different USB hubs, as some devices don't seem to like them. I have a Hama one that doesn't seem too bad. As for a 10m usb extension, make sure you go for a 'repeater' usb extension cable, they seem much better than a plain extension cable.

tris

just wondering

Established Member
Fantastic , thank you everyone for you excellent advice .

The USB cable i would to of known to buy a repeater version , i looked this up , USB is designed for upto 5 meters away ....The things i will be attaching to the cable will be a Xbox wired joypad and a blue tooth dongle to run my bluetooth keyboard and mouse , plus a basic usb hub (maybe not powered) will that cause me any issues ? i imagine they are both considered as fairly low powered items.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
Fantastic , thank you everyone for you excellent advice .

The USB cable i would to of known to buy a repeater version , i looked this up , USB is designed for upto 5 meters away ....The things i will be attaching to the cable will be a Xbox wired joypad and a blue tooth dongle to run my bluetooth keyboard and mouse , plus a basic usb hub (maybe not powered) will that cause me any issues ? i imagine they are both considered as fairly low powered items.

i'd have thought you'd definitely need a powered hub, but i could be wrong. All the stuff youre considering routing i'd think about just hard cat6'ing the whole thing, it'll be much neater, and will work without worrying.

Dunno if it would be possible to send this sort of stuff over homeplugs, but that could be a solution.

just wondering

Established Member
Okay , what is Hard cat6'ing , will that enable me to use HDMI , joypad and bluetooth dongle with just one cable ? any links to a good guide on how it works and how to perform it , is it a cheap thing to do ?

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
Okay , what is Hard cat6'ing , will that enable me to use HDMI , joypad and bluetooth dongle with just one cable ? any links to a good guide on how it works and how to perform it , is it a cheap thing to do ?

its just putting fixed ethernet cables in and sending everything over those, with adapters at either end, i do it with 2, i dont know if its possible with 1, more than likely- the bandwidth of a cat6 cable is massive.

It wouldnt be too pricey, <75 if you shop around, from one room to another would be a rough guess.

just wondering

Established Member
Cheers Chox , ideally for the times been , i am trying to keep costs down , the two cables would be around 2/3 cheaper , but definatley something to consider for the future , thank you for the advice.

just wondering

Established Member
Quick bit of advice , My tv is a old 60inch 720 lg model , my graphics card is a new AMD 270 oc ATI

Would this HDMI cable do the trick , its only 7.99 for 15 meters , i have seen more expensive ones that quote HDMI 1.4 , but i cant imagine my TV is HDMI 1.4 as it is around 5 - 6 years old.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
i could be wrong on this but i think as its 720p theres less chance of having issues running over long distances.

Looking at those that are definitely rated for that sort of distance i'd be looking at spending 30 minimum for that distance. But im not hugely clued up on cabling.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom