1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would I need anything else?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Pezerinno, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi, if I purchase a stereo setup for music (cd, amp and speakers etc) would I need to buy anything else (apart from a couple of leads) to connect it to my telly? My dvd player (Denon 1910) has optical TOSlink and coax out while my freeview PVR (Thomson DHD-4000) has optical out.

Thanks.

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Nick go and investigate DACs. Do a search on the forum and read the sticky at the top of the page. As you have a DVD player & a Freeview box with a digital output, its definately worth you looking at.

Ie No CDP, but a DAC, a Hifi amp & a set of speakers, Some of have been doing if ror years. All you'd need is 2 digital leads & a set of ICs from DAC to amp.

ATB

3. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you are using a stereo amp why not use the analogue connections on the 1910 and if the freeview box as any. you are not gaining anything by going out digital only to convert to analogue. Unless you can find a stereo with a couple of digital inputs and can downmix the digitial out from the DVD, you may as well consider an A/V amp.

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Eddy for best hifi ie CD & Vinyl - a stereo amp is the way to go. You will also get a higher level of anlg output stage on many DACs than the outputs of the 1910 or Freeview box, trust me Ive done it with my own ears as far as my Freeview boxes are concerned. much more listenable thru a DAC. As is CD & DVD stereo as well.

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Just to back up the DAC/Stereo Amp route. If Stereo is your thing then this is the way to go. No doubt. Unless you're spending a few thousand on an AV Amp you won't get close to the stereo performance of a Good DAC and Amp. Either way I'd think twice about buying a CD player. I use an el cheapo DVD and a DAC with freeview running in as well. The result is very good for stereo playback. As you already have a good DVD player to use as a transport I would imagine your results would be even better.
    Certainly worth looking into.

6. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I wasn't sure whether to go down the DAC route mainly due to if I were ever going to move the stereo system somewhere else away from the tv/dvd. Anyway I'll read up about my options.