1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would I need a sub for this system?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by sapkan, Feb 8, 2005.

1. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    2x Scandyna Megapods for fronts
    2x Scandyna Minipods for rears
    1x Scandyna Cinepod for center

The megapod is a new Scandyna speaker made up of a minipod + a 10" woofer underneath (same as in the bass station)

http://www.audioholics.com/ces/CESspeakers/ScandynaMegapod.php

Essentially this set-up will feature two bass stations but they would connect to the amp through the regular speaker cable rather than through the LFE. Questions is would I need a dedicated sub on top of that? :lease:

p.s. room is biggish 7mx4m and partly open to another room

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A good subwoofer will still add low down punch to your system especially if you like your music and films loud. Would it be possible to borrow one so that you can decide for yourself ?

3. Zigster

Zigster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a pair of minipods (which I like but are a bit light on bass). I hadn't heard of the megapods until your post but they look absolutely mad! I don't have the room for them and I know the wife would not approve.

I guess the only way to know for sure whether there is enough bass is to demo them. But if you just had the minipods with one separate sub that would probably provide enough bass so two subs (as part of the megapods) would seem on the face of it to provide lots of bass. You could always buy them, see how you get on and add a further sub if you felt it was needed. I can't see how it would be, though, unless you like your ears bleeding.

4. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the specs say those megapods go to 28hz at -6db. There is certainly some music and film content below that frequency, and the -6db indicates that the megapods have already started rolling off above 28hz. It's a question of how low you want to go. Personally, I love my low bass! Like Ian J says, see if you can audition a sub to see if it adds anything to your sound.

5. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanx for the input. Would get the system as above and would try and borrow a proper sub like an SVS or a Velo and see what difference it makes. 28Hz aint SVS low but it aint too bad either. Would be an interesting listen

6. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are these not the same as the Blue Room Minipods and BassStation?? they look identical - i have one of the Blue room Bass Stations in silver - nice bit of kit, looks the part and give out some pretty good bass levels.

It does suffer a bit with low stuff, as though not able to cope and seems to be a bit slow in responding to changes down there, but it definately adds some umph to the overall AV experience.

Not sure if they are worth the price though - £400 or so last time I looked, there are a lot better subs out there for that price, although they don't look as good or different :)

Gary