1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would I benefit from a DAC?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by j98, Sep 20, 2005.

1. j98

j98

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I currently use a Yamaha RXV350 with a Pioneer 370 DVD player for both movies and music. While this combination serves me perfectly well for watching movies, it's not much good for serious music listening.

I have limited space & budget (£150ish) but am keen to improve music performance as much as possible.

5-channel stereo is the only sound mode which is listenable, with 2-channel sounding considerably quieter even when I try to crank up the amp. (My front speakers are Tannoy Mercury M1s). In DD/DTS/DSP modes, all of the speakers operate properly so I don't think it's a problem with wiring. I suppose it's just a limitation of a budget amp?

How much difference would a DAC make to this setup? I'm guessing it won't affect the volume but don't know much about it tbh. I realise these things are subjective but for all I know the difference is like a 500% improvement!

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!

2. d4v34

d4v34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Are you using the DAC in your DVD player or the DAC in your amp at the moment? In other words, are you connecting via an analogue or a digital cable?

Whichever you are doing, try the other. Both devices have a DAC in them and you may find that one or other gives a more pleasing sound. Long shot, but it's something you can do with zero cost (apart from the cable).

If this doesn't work, how about trading in your amp and using the £150 to improve it? If you connect to it via a digital cable then you will have upgraded the DAC and the amp in one go :)

Gary

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Alternatively buy a dedicated cd player. Second hand would do you best at your budget. It will be miles better than a cheap dvd player at cd's.

Also worth thinking about is a Limit 900SE dvd player which are tuned by Cyrus for superb musical ability and a bargain at £50 :eek:

I do have to agree with the earlier point of changing your amp to something better. That way you will improve your stereo ability and your surround experience in one go.

5. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have agree with some of the responses about replacing your amp. I had a Yamaha RX-V450 and RX-V650 previously and although they were acceptable in movie mode, they never cut it in stereo reproduction.

Some possibilities are CA(off course!), Marantz, HK, NAD.

6. j98

j98

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the replies!

I'm using the coaxial output from the dvd player. I have tried the phono outs but I really couldn't tell the difference.

I have thought about trading in the amp but I actually quite like it for movies. I suppose the answer is the one I was dreading... Buy a seperate stereo amp! Looking at the Cambridge 540A but don't have anywhere to put it yet.

Maybe I should just rearrange my house?

7. alphabet

alphabet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do look(and listen) to the Cambridge 540R. It is very good in both movie and stereo modes and is in fact smaller than your 350, but a lot more powerful.

8. j98

j98

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Is Cambridge stuff only available from Richer Sounds? Or is that just online?

Any ideas where I can trade in the Yamaha in the Camden area of London?