1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would i benefit buying a Lumagen VisionDVI

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by martind, Oct 21, 2005.

1. martind

martind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Having recently purchased a 26inch Samsung LE26R41BDX, Pioneer VSX915 AV receiver, Canton CD1 speakers and Pioneer DV380 DVD for my bedroom, i got the AV Home Cinema bug and am thinking about converting our garage to a dedicated HC room.

But if i am honest i may have to give it 12 months to pay off existing cards etc, so i am now thinking about improving my current setup by purchasing a scaler to improve current PQ. This could then be moved into the HC room to go with whatever new equipment i get, when the HC project starts next year.

Connected to my amp are the LCD via composite audio, DVD via componant and coaxial, PC via optical and PS2 via componant and optical. PC is connected to the LCD via VGA. Plus i have the XBox 360 on order.

So my questions are.........

Where would the scaler sit to get optimum PQ for the above (ie between the amp and the TV)?

With this setup would there be an improvemnt to PQ (more on DVD that PS2)?

Sorry if this sounds like noob questions, but i have a burning desire to improve what i've got (even thou some people may think it's overkill for the main bedroom)! Roll on next year when i start planning my HC garage conversion.

Cheers

:smashin: Martin :smashin:

PS Just read my title for this post :rolleyes: , of course i'd benefit, silly question.............

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Martin

in your situation we would recommend using your PC as a scaler, if budgets are tight and you already have a PC in situ then it seems the obvious thing to do. Given the connections that you are using at the moment you would probably see an improvement from just a £30 tv card, dscaler and Svideo!..lots more info over in the HTPC forum.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Martin: If you could explain more clearly how each source is routed for it's VIDEO and what sockets are available on the display(along with it's resolution) I'm sure we an give you some good advice here. I would be astounded if the Lumagen didn't give you a better image but exactly the method to achieve the improvement is dependant on answers to first questions.

Gordon