Would I be wasting my money????

Smiffy 2

Hi all,
at the moment I currently have a JVC LT-37DS6FJ LCD television connected (via component) to a JVC DRM-150 DVD player/recorder.
I am generally quite pleased with the playback quality of this set up, but have a friend of mine, who has recently purchased an upscaling DVD player, is trying to convince me that the PQ I would get with one of these would be noticeably better than what I have currently.
This particular friend lives in Newcastle by the way, so a trip up to his place to see what all the fuss is about is out of the question at the moment!

I know this is a subjective question, and one that has most probably been asked a hundred times before but..........

Do you think I would notice an improvement by buying something like the SONY DVP-NS76H which a lot of people on here are reporting favourably on and going the HDMI route?
It seems a shame that I have got HDMI connections on the TV that aren't being utilised at the moment.
I apologise if this question has been asked before but would appreciate some unbiased feedback.
Many thanks
Rob

mjcairney

Hi there - it's back to the old question - is the scaler in your TV better/worse that the one in the DVD Player?

In actual fact, unless you buy a real top end upscaling DVD player, there's every chance that you won't notice any difference at all and, if you do, it's likely to be very slight and, bear in mind, it might not be as good as you currently get.

I have a Panasonic S97 upscaling DVD player myself connected via HDMI to my Pioneer plasma - I have had it connected by component to do the comparison and honestly saw no difference.

Save your HDMI connection for Sky HD.

Cheers,

Martin.

KjK

Novice Member
Posted own question thx

Smiffy 2

mjcairney said:
Hi there - it's back to the old question - is the scaler in your TV better/worse that the one in the DVD Player?

Cheers,

Martin.
Martin
thanks for your prompt response.
I have studied my LCD's technical information sheets 3 or 4 times and I cannot see anywhere it says it will upscale an analogue component input above 576i (625i).
The only section of the information where 1081i (1125i) is mentioned is in the HDMI connections.
I may be being a bit thick here by the way!!
I know that when I put a DVD on at the moment, I get the figure 1081 appear in the top right hand corner of the screen for a fraction of a second and then it changes to 576.
When my friend saw this the last time he was down here he automatically assumed that my picture was being upscaled to 1081 but this does not appear to be the case as we couldn't find anywhere on the televisions menu selections to alter this.
As I say, I may be being a bit thick here!!
Rob

mjcairney

I must say that I am no expert on this subject, but I do know that all LCD and Plasma TV's have thier own in-built scaler to enable them to put the picture on the screen using the screen's native resolution, in your set's case 1366 x 768.

Hopefully, someone else with more knowledge of this subject than me will post some more information for you, although I do stick by my original statement that I saw no difference when using the component output from my DVD player letting the TV's scaler set the picture to the screen's native resolution, and upscaling within the DVD player to both 1080i and 720p.

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Martin.

WGLOVER

Smiffy 2 said:
Martin
thanks for your prompt response.
I have studied my LCD's technical information sheets 3 or 4 times and I cannot see anywhere it says it will upscale an analogue component input above 576i (625i).
The only section of the information where 1081i (1125i) is mentioned is in the HDMI connections.
I may be being a bit thick here by the way!!
I know that when I put a DVD on at the moment, I get the figure 1081 appear in the top right hand corner of the screen for a fraction of a second and then it changes to 576.
When my friend saw this the last time he was down here he automatically assumed that my picture was being upscaled to 1081 but this does not appear to be the case as we couldn't find anywhere on the televisions menu selections to alter this.
As I say, I may be being a bit thick here!!
Rob
The TV rescales whatever the input is to its native resolution.
The SD digital TV is upscaled, the component outputs from a DVP are upscaled, the 1080i from Telewest HD is downscaled and the 720p rescaled to 768p.
My component picture (set at 576i) from my Sony looks as good as the HDMI, and before I upgraded my HDMI cable,
looked better.

Which is better depends on how good your TV rescaler is.

Top Bottom