Would I be wasting my money?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by challenger, Jan 7, 2012.

1. challenger

challenger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm thinking of spending approx £800 on a Marantz NR1602 receiver and Tannoy HTS101 speakers. My only problem is that I am now starting to realise that due to the positioning of the equipment I will be breaking several rules of suround sound.

The only place I can site the TV and associated equipment is in an alcove in the corner of the room created by the cimney breast. The TV points out at an angle across the front of the chimney breast in order that it offers the best viewing angle for all those seated at various positions of the room.

Therefore, I proposed keeping the speakers small (hence the Tannoys) and sitting the fronts just beneath the height of the TV shelf, so only approx 300mm from the floor. The centre could stand on the top of the stand where the TV sits at approx 500 from the floor.

I myself cringe at the thought of this, but space constraints leave me no option.

My question is that given theses circumstances am I wasting my money on such a thought and would I be better just accepting that I may be better off jsut purchasing an all-in-one package and enjoying sound that is a step up from TV speaker sound?

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    Have you considered the Wharefdale Diamond 10 LCR for the front 3. This could sit under the TV and give you the front 3 speakers in one unit.
    Speakers do not like being put in a cabinet.
    Where do you plan to put the rears? If you want surround sound and have a varied selection of seating locations then I would focus the surround sound on the main viewing location. This will mean you may get a good effect at that location but a poor effect elsewhere but this is better than trying to get it at all locations and getting a poor effect everywhere.

3. abbo

abbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +407
    Yes, I think it will be overkill. You would be better off with a good quality sound bar.

4. challenger

challenger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanx for your suggestions PSM1 & abbo.

If I replaced my basic stand with this:
    Aquila - FAV-S193/B | Large Cantilever TV Stand 3 Shelf | BIG AV
    there would be a space between the top shelf and the TV (as if it were wall mounted), enabling me to stand the front 2 speakers on the top of the stand spaced out under each end of the TV with the centre speaker in the middle. I appreciate they would be a bit close together. The front 2 speaker would have to be angled to a suitable position through trial and error I guess.

As for the rears .... maybe i could put them along the side walls, angled towards the chair opposite the TV. Again positioning would be trial and error.

appo's suggestion of a soundbar isn't something I have considered before. Are these used as stand alone connected to the TV, or connected into the system with a receiver?

What I am looking for in the end is an entertainment centre with everything in one area, the receiver being the 'hub' of the system, enabling me to watch TV/movies with improved sound, play games through XBox, listen to music through ipod or CD player, listen to radio (not all at the same time!).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    Speaker do not like to be placed on units as they will interact with it and this will adversely affect sound quality. Also al 3 speakers on that shelf will mean that they are far too close together and not worth having a centre speaker at all really. You really want the front L/R speakers to be outside the width of the TV to give a good front soundstage.
    Soundbars can be bought as standalone units with their own amplification or as speakers than can be connected to an AV receiver (see the Wharfedale diamond 10 LCR as an example).

6. challenger

challenger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks PMS1

I don't have room to either wall mount or stand mount front speakers, therefore your suggestion of the Wharfedale Diamond 10LRC looks good.

Would it be ok to stand this on the top shelf of a TV stand? If not where?

Would this be an acceptable speaker to play music through or just for TV/movies?

Also, what would be best to go with it? ..... just a subwoofer, or a sub and rears? .... or just the 10LRC connected to the receiver?

This all started because I wanted better sound from my TV..... but now seems to be turning into a major project with twists and turns at each juncture! But, it's all good fun, if somewhat frustrating.... and an education. But I guess you guys know that from experience, which you seem to have in abundance.

7. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    I would pair it with a sub to get the lows sorted and you could add rears if you wanted.
    The LCR I believe has been designed to be fitted on a unit so it should be OK. It has really been designed to be used with movies/TV but should not be too bad as I believe the drivers in it come from the 10.1s and with a musical sub you should be fine. It will never be a great stereo effect since the speakers are close together but it should be more than passable.