Would HDMI make any improvement

D

Deleted member 45627

Hi, just got one of the new Panasonic TX-37LZD80 lcd's which is brilliant playing Freeview and Sky. I have a Panny HDD and DVD player with HDMI socket, would it be to my advantage and would I get any improvement if I fitted an HDMI cable.
Just played ' Hot Fuzz ' and the picture was very good with scart connection so could I do any better?
Thanks
Terry

does your dvd upscale?it should do with a hdmi socket.then yes u will see a vast improvement.can u give us a small review on the tx,as i'm looking at one myself.

cheers

Only just got the 37LZD80 and only played 2 DVD's, Hot Fuzz and Ratatoulli.
Both were fantastic and could see no fault at all.
I have been comparing the Freeview and Sky pictures and can see no difference at all, if anything the Freeview has the edge.
The Panny DVD HDD has the HDMI socket so presumably it should improve the picture, how I don't know because the picture is already brilliant.
Didn't get one one the bargains many seem to get, I paid £999 from official shop in Sheffield, it was next day delivery with 5 year Panasonic warranty.
Would recommend

Out with the old (scart), and in with the new (hdmi)

Can't you hear your TX-37LZD80 screaming at you to provide it with hdmi goodness :rotfl:

As phillyctr said, it should upscale normal dvds as well to provide that extra bit quality.

You can get 1.3 version hdmi cables for a few pound on ebay.

Thanks I will get one and keep you informed.
Terry

i would say yes its much better than that horrible old French invention the scart lead.

HDMI will almost certainly be better than scart. However, the upscaler in your DVD may not be better than letting your TV upscale so you may need to experiment with the settings! In the end, its what you see that is most important.....................

Chris

Scart is at best interlaced RGB, HDMI is normally progressive YUV with /without upscaling (check both options in your setup, your TV may have a better scaler). Another option would be to try component, do not always assume that HDMI is best.............not all electronic components are created equal, it can be worth checking out the pq on component, it may be better or similar to HDMI, and then you can save the HDMI input for a true HD source.

Thanks for all the replies, I take them on board. I was all set to buy the HDMI cable today but when I investigated I found that although the TV has HDMI 1.3 my Panny DMR EX75 EB Hdd/DVD is rated I think as HDMI 1.1, could be wrong, be gratefull if someone could tell me if this is correct, can't find it in manual.
Will the cable still work if one end at the recorder is 1.1 and the tv is 1.3, I did ask at a Sony shop, it was convenient at the time and they said the connection wouldn't work, they doubted that a 2 year old Panny would upscale.
Are they correct?
Terry

The HDMI 1.1 / 1.3 is not a issue it is backwardly compatible.

So long as the cable length is less than 3m do not buy a very expensive HDMI cable.

Also be aware that using HDMI may stop the digital audio out on the DVD player (coax or optical) if you are using a AV AMP.......normally turned back on in the menu's.

Thanks for all the replies, I take them on board. I was all set to buy the HDMI cable today but when I investigated I found that although the TV has HDMI 1.3 my Panny DMR EX75 EB Hdd/DVD is rated I think as HDMI 1.1, could be wrong, be gratefull if someone could tell me if this is correct, can't find it in manual.
Will the cable still work if one end at the recorder is 1.1 and the tv is 1.3, I did ask at a Sony shop, it was convenient at the time and they said the connection wouldn't work, they doubted that a 2 year old Panny would upscale.
Are they correct?
Terry

All the versions of HDMI are upwardly compatible - ie a 1.3 device will understand 100% of 1.1, the source device just won't be able to exploit the more esoteric/luxury features added since.

As your DVD player has a HDMI socket it almost guaranteed to UPSCALE as there is no point in having a HDMI otherwise. Even if you have lost its manual, you should be able to find the Setup menu choices offering various HDMI resolutions!

Conceptually the benefit of using that digital HDMI interface for your DVD-TV link is to reduce the amount of digital<->analogue processing, all of which will introduce some degree of approximation/sampling and be more prone to error.

Thus DVD disc = Digital -> processed in DVD player digitally still -> output over cable still as digital at a HDMI resolution -> processed by TV digitally still (and possibly 1:1 depending on resolution of TV) and displayed.

There is in fact no such thing as a 1.x cable. What there is are STANDARD cables that can be HDMI logo'd ie CERTIFIED (ie guaranteed) to deal with the frequency of data upto 1080i and HIGH SPEED above that.

HDMI is designed to work reliably with upto 10m of cable ANYWAY, so a standard length 2-3m cable used in a normal AV setup is NOT being stressed really.

See the horses' mouth : ie HDMI Licensing FAQ at http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx

MORAL: buy a cable that is reasonably well made for £5, £10 tops. Above that and you are frankly being taken for a ride UNLESS you decide you want to value the picture generated higher because you invested more in its production! Alternatively spend the money you might have been suckered into spending on the cable on say a better Universal remote control that you'll get convenience and value from every day!

At least you were only delayed by the misinformation of the Sony people who make their living by "meeting AV customers needs" rather than being robbed!

PS
Visited the Panasonic UK website and in Support found the download for the manual for the DMR-EX75EB (based on your descriptiona above). That says explicitly (page 51):
"HDMI Video Format [576i/480i][576p/480p][720p][1080i][Automatic]"
so you have got 720p or 1080i - there is NO right answer if you have a 720 set, try them both and see which you prefer the look of

"Digital Audio Output [HDMI and Optical] [Optical Only]"
as raised by RockySpieler you can adjust this to suit where you want your sound to go.

So all in all good news - you can exploit your existing DVD/TV investment better for just a few pounds of expenditure :)

Enjoy!

Thanks again, I run optical digital from DVD to processor, will this be a problem?
The cable will only be about 1 metre long, this should be OK I think.
Terry

Thanks again, I run optical digital from DVD to processor, will this be a problem?
The cable will only be about 1 metre long, this should be OK I think.
Terry

See above - I added that bit about audio as a PS to my posting - your DVD unit has the ability to do both HDMI and/or just optical. The optical should work again at quite a few meters even with the cheapest cable.

If you're talking about 1m for the HDMI ? I would suggest measuring with a piece of string as you'll probably find it a lot longer than you expect as you probably want to run the cable up the centre stand of the TV, and maybe leave enough slack to slide the DVD player forward to adjust other cables etc. I certainly fell for buying too short a cable first time I bought a HDMI but then I only wasted £3 on it :)

Thanks MK-donald I wil get a cable this week now things have been explained
Terry

Hi everyone, got an Hdmi cable and connected it up, TV picked it up and said it was 576. Played standard def DVD and couldn't see any improvement in picture, changed it to 1080 and still no improvement.
Am I expecting too much, I had a reply from Phillyctr earlier in this thread and he said there would be a big improvement, what am I doing wrong??
Are there any more settings I am supposed to make to either recorder or TV.
Help please.
Terry

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom