Would cat cables next to a ceiling speaker cause interference?

vantre

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

possibly a slightly silly question here, but would cat 6 (unshielded) cables running directly on top of a ceiling speaker (with hood) cause interference to either the signal that the cat cable is carrying or to the sound from the speaker?

Reason for asking is that the builders we had some time ago left a small hole in the ceiling with the speaker cable terminating there. This seemed quite handy but they've actually run the AV cables that go to the rest of the kitchen directly above the hole. There's not a lot of slack but I think the speaker would just about be able to fit in with the cables directly above it.

There's no room to the left or right as the ceiling joists are only just wider than the speaker....

So my options seem to be to just go with the current placement (if the cat 6 cables won't cause a problem) or to go into the ceiling space via the floorboard in the room above to move the location (which is a lot more work than I want to get into)

So any thoughts as to whether the cat cables on top of the speaker would be an issue or not would be much appreciated! (like I say, I would have thought that a honking great magnet at the back of a speaker would cause some sort of signal interference, but i'm hoping someone can assure me otherwise!)

cheers

V

I would have thought that a honking great magnet at the back of a speaker would cause some sort of signal interference, but i'm hoping someone can assure me otherwise!

Thats it in a nutshell.
It will definitely affect both signals and speaker output.

Thanks for the reply Andy - not quite what I was hoping for but it's handy to get a confirmation!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom