Would B&W 606 s2 work well with arcam mini solo?

hifinutt

If you like the sound of your system but just need a bit more bass control then you can add a power amp to the Mini as it has pre-outs.

If you are OK with second hand then the Quad 606 or 909 is a good start for a traditional class AB amp, or go for a newer Hypex Ncore class D amp from Nord acoustic. At a lower level the Topping PA5 is getting good reviews as well, there is a long thread on here from a guy that replace some pretty expensive amps with one of these.

Also, Arcam do tend to be slightly on the warmer side of neutral so that may be taming the B&W but I think the 606‘s aren’t as bright as the 607 going by reviews.
i dont find the 607s2 in the slightest bright . not even in a bright room !!!

password1

Distinguished Member
@Sildking75 - What Hi-Fi recently ran a feature listing their favourite speakers under £1000 (bookshelf and floorstander).

Here's the bookshelves they give five stars to up to your £450 budget:

Q Acoustics 3020i (£169)
Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 (£249)
Elac Debut B5.2 (£249)
B&W 607 S2 (£329)
DALI Oberon 1 (£349)
Triangle Borea BR03 (£349)
B&W 606 S2 (£449)

You could probably get all of these cheaper if you shop around for used or ex-dem.

And just as an alternative:

Fyne Audio F302 (£399)
Q Acoustics 3050i (£449)

Which are both actually floorstanders and would save you money having to find stands.
Forget what hifi reviews, 5 stars don't mean they sound better than a 3 or 4 star rated by a few individuals. Take them with a pinch of salt. Ive owned 5 star rated MA bronze 2 and 4 star rated much older MA Gold GR10, The Golds are better in every way.

My money would be on a pair of Mission LX3 mark 2, having owned a pair of the previous LX1 mark 1, Im confident the newer mark 2 will also be guaranteed to work well with the Arcam.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom