1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would anything be gained by adding a sub for the center channel?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ShinObiWAN, Jun 12, 2004.

1. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The title say it all really.

What I'd like to know is since the center channel arguable works the hardest in a surround setup, is it possible that a more dynamic presentation could be had by adding a sub to provide a low frequency boost to, and lets face it, the vast majority of rather bass light center speakers out there and thats not discluding my own (see sig).

Has anyone done this already and found it next to useless or a worthwhile to-do. Obviously I don't intend to pair a Servo15 to the center channel but rather a small and compact sub, such as a REL Quake or BK XLS 200.

Cheers for any input.

2. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    if your centre speaker is 'small' in your processor, then you already have a sub for your centre channel, and all your small speakers! in fact you have two!

also, presuming your room is imperfect like the vast majority, then setting all speakers to small and using a BFD on your subs means you will be bass managing your room as a whole, rather than just individual speakers. setting speakers to large removes that option (short of using room treatment etc).

3. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris,

I do use small on all my speakers, even though the front's reach down to 35hz I much prefer the sound that small provides.

So yes I currently have all bass routed to my subs. I guess there would be little point in adding a third and less capable sub.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pascal from Bluesky answered me a similar question elsewhere saying that you are better mixing it all into the LFE channel..... Can I post links to bluesky mods?

ad

5. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm interested in reading that Ad.

Could you post the link to me via PM please?