Would anyone recommend getting a Nintendo Wii from the US ?

tausifs

I will be visiting the US shortly and was considering getting a Wii from over there. Are they well stocked over there ? Are there any disadvantages to getting a US console other than warranty issues. Thanks.

If you recommend it, are there any must have accessories and particular games worth getting ?

Looeewoo

Novice Member
I will be visiting the US shortly and was considering getting a Wii from over there. Are they well stocked over there ? Are there any disadvantages to getting a US console other than warranty issues. Thanks.

If you recommend it, are there any must have accessories and particular games worth getting ?
The Wii stock situation doesn't seem to be any better in the States at the moment.

A US Wii will only play NTSC games, so you'll have to buy all your software there too.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
The Wii stock situation doesn't seem to be any better in the States at the moment.

A US Wii will only play NTSC games, so you'll have to buy all your software there too.
A friend of mine recently took a trip back to Switzerland and stopped off in New York both sides of the trip for a day, he intended buying a Wii there but didn't manage to find any stores with stock so Looeewoo is correct there.

The warranty is probably the main disadvantage when buying a US Wii, although I would have thought if it develops a fault Nintendo would sort it out if sent directly back to themselves, unsure of this though.

There is one big avantage owning a US NTSC console over a UK PAL system. As has been typical over the years Nintendo tend to put the US game releases far ahead of the PAL version games. Super Paper Mario for instance will be released tomorrow(which should be a cracker by the way), no PAL release date has been given yet. Trauma Centre(also well worth picking up) is a very good game which was a launch game over on the US, think it's set to receive a PAL release in June.

There is the odd game which is the other way around with the PAL version being released first, such as Heat Seeker which apparently saw the PAL release ahead of NTSC due to the fact it was developed by an Australian studio which is of course a PAL territory as the UK. Mario Strikers will get released here in May but no US release date has been given yet so it works both ways to an extent.

If you buy a US Wii you would need to connect to the US shopping channel to download VC games, again the shopping channel has slightly different release dates for US/UK but the US does seem to get most of the favourites ahead of the UK it seems so no problem there.

Things such as the Weather Channel will have slight issues, I don't think you'll be able to localise your forecast, although you can rotate the globe to take the daily weather forecast for anywhere in the world so it is still useable.

Accessories such as remotes, cables etc. are universal so it wouldn't matter where you buy those from, they'll all work. As Looeewoo mentioned you would have to buy US version Wii games though as these are region locked, thankfully there are plenty of reputable online importers offering great prices such as playasia, videogamesplus, yesasia and others. Most of the US games I buy from these companies work out to just under £30 delivered with the odd bargain, I payed £23 delivered for Trauma Centre from yesasia just after release fo instance.

You will need a stepdown convertor for a US console, these are easy to get hold of from somewhere like Maplin, think 75watt is the recommended minimum and should be fairly cheap to buy.

Think I covered just about everything there, I have a US console myself and happy I have it(my other consoles are PAL and although I moved here to Argentina last year we actually share the same voltage as the UK).

If you do decide(and manage to find stock) a Wii console while over in the US the top 3 games I would recommend picking up are as follows:

Super Paper Mario
Trauma Centre: Second Opinion
Excite Truck

Although those are mostly single player games so if you want a good mulitplayer then I guess either Rayman Raving Rabbids or WarioWare would be the best choices.

Oh, and US Wii consoles do come with Wii Sports game included, the only difference is that unlike the UK package, the game disk comes in a cardboard sleeve box rather than the proper plastic one.

Hope that helps & good luck of you go for it:smashin:

SoleFever

Novice Member
So if i wanted to order a US Wii online, where would be the shops i could try?

www.videogameplus.ca is not only one of the best import websites i have used but is also one of the best online shops in general IMO. I would get one from them if you can, they seem to get a small amount of stock every Monday evening (UK time), so if you keep checking there Blog on that night you should be able to get one. I ordered mine on Tuesday and it is now in the UK ready for delivery tomorrow.

Moogle

Novice Member
www.videogameplus.ca is not only one of the best import websites i have used but is also one of the best online shops in general IMO. I would get one from them if you can, they seem to get a small amount of stock every Monday evening (UK time), so if you keep checking there Blog on that night you should be able to get one. I ordered mine on Tuesday and it is now in the UK ready for delivery tomorrow.
I have to agree with that. IMHO they are the best import site. :thumbsup:

Dan Mac

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies. I had a look on playasia but they seemed to be selling Japanese console. I went onto videogamesplus this morning and can't see the Console for sale. Does it only get listed on the site when they have stock then? I can't just order one and wait for the stock to come in?

Moogle

Novice Member
I went onto videogamesplus this morning and can't see the Console for sale. Does it only get listed on the site when they have stock then? I can't just order one and wait for the stock to come in?
That's correct. They were on there a couple of days ago but must have sold out. Best thing to do is to keep a regular eye on their blog for which there is a link on their main page near the top. That's where usually post the availability with a direct link to it.

RichKS

Another rec for VGPlus. They're bloody brilliant. Not quite the cheapest, especially for accessories inc stuff like Wii Play because of the postage costs. But they are really fast, very reliable and also very nice people to deal with. I ordered my Wii from them on a Thursday and I had it in my hands the Monday morning.

Their blog is at http://vgplus.blogspot.com/index.html and has an RSS feed which I added to my Google homepage so I could monitor the Wii stock situation.

DVDBoxoffice are slightly cheaper, but their shipping speed is much slower. Good place to get Wiiplay for example, because the weight of the controller makes the postage from VGPlus quite expensive.

And Super Paper Mario is also superb, in a quirky, novel and very Japanese way.

spencer_uk

I just got back from the states and you can pick up a Wii for $249 at EB. However there is sales tax on top of that (depending on which State you are in this can differ - in Nevada it was 7.75%). That makes it about 130 quid(ish) at the moment - then you may have to pay VAT on it too when (/if) you declare it at customs (or get stopped). I thought it might also be tricky explaining it at the airport in the US too given the heightened security issues. With all that in mind I decided it was probably not worth it given I may have had trouble with the warranty if something went wrong.... That said I suppose there is still a few quid in it...

P-P-S-S

i agree with spencer. i buy a lot of art from US and the customs really hammers you with fees and vat on top. not only that and the software issues but you also will have a lot of problems (and it will get expensive) if something goes wrong with console and you have to return it etc. i am not sure if Nintendo Europe will honour the warranty if the item comes from outside Europe either.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom