1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would any buy Kenwood AV? as.....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DrPepper, Aug 5, 2002.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    ...there is the new Kenwood KRF-X9060D out

THX Select, THX Surround EX, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic 2
    DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS, DTS Matrix 6.1,DTS Neo-6, Circle Surround II

I'm tempted to buy this because it is THX select certified.

......all for around £400!!!

2. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Not sure but spec is impressive, I am stuck which to buy now the Yamaha 630 (£357 Qed-uk.com) or the new Sony 1080 (£359+£12 shipping robertwhyteltd.co.uk) or now this the Kenwood 9060D to go with my new set FS2AV's from empiredirect.

Also I did a quick hunt around seen the 9060DS (Silver version) for £325 from unbeatable.co.uk.

Scott

3. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    What Hifi give favourable reviews, Claiming that this has relaunched Kenwood into and maybe ahead of the competition in this price bracket.

Had it been out 2 months ago I would have demoed this without doubt!

4. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    well i would certainly consider it. i'm not sure exactly what equipment you require to run thx, i presume a thx certified speaker system, am i correct?

and i couldn't budget for that as i'm sure they're expensive.

can you run thx on traditional equipment used for dd/dts?? obviously not going to reproduce the whole shabang.

if this is the case it's on my 'to audition' list.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vipen - you can use a THX certified amp no problem. Indeed, you can use a THX certified amp, DVD, or speakers regardless of the rest of your system. THX certification is merely an indication of two things:

1. Lucasfilm has approved the gear - i.e. it meets their minimum standards for quality in terms of maximum volume without distortion, surround steering and so on...

2. It contains a THX processor, which you can turn on or off, and which you may or may not like (personally I stay the hell away from THX processing).

It is possible you might get a 'synergistic' effect when combining THX certified gear into an all-THX system, but I cannot confirm this; you'd need to ask some all-knowing creature like Nic Rhodes to get that info.

6. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    hey dude, why would you stay away from thx, is this not the current high end or do you just mean thx by kenwood?

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I myself have a THX processor - what I mean is I don't use the THX processing functions on it. I find they affect the sound in the following ways:

Positive: A large reduction in 'hiss' and 'hash' around less-than-perfectly recorded dialogue.

Negative: A decrease in clarity, brightness, and detail - particularly from the centre channel (again, with dialogue).

Positive: A more diffuse soundfield. By that I mean, it's much harded to pinpoint effects coming from a certain speaker.

Negative: Music and score loses it's emotional impact.

As a result, I always leave THX processing off.

Hope this helps with your decision!