1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

would also be extremely intersted ...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MARLEYMAN, May 29, 2003.

1. MARLEYMAN

MARLEYMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not to mention grateful if anyone has any connection tips re cables and boxes for the Hitachi 42PD300 with a Sony DVD and SKY + cheers

2. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The DVD player can be connected directly to the AV box by RGB scart or component leads dependant on the player. Sky+ connects directly to the other rGB scart. No boxes etc required as one of the joys of the Hitachi is its ease of connection. There is a spare scart for video and the VGA connector as well.

I have exactly this set-up well Toshiba DVD and the result is excellent.

3. MARLEYMAN

MARLEYMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tks for that. I have a DAVs500 which I have just realised doesn't have scart out, but have read other threads saying that picture quality from SVHS is still superb. Don't suppose you have your plasma up on a wall by any chance ?

4. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think the DAV500 only has S-Video output. S-Video is still a high quality output, far superior to composite but down from RGB and Component. Certainly no reason not to opt for S-Video.

With Sky + you already have S-Video, the DAV also has S-Video. But your screen only has one S-Video input. Therefore, you will have to look at some sort of video switch or an alternative means to connect Sky + to your screen. Converter wise, you're only option is for RGB to Component conversion for the Hitachi screen.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

5. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Marleyman

No I use the supplied tabletop stand but Hitachi list a £100 wall mount.

There is one S video inut on the Hitachi box. Sky+ has got a RGB scart output which can connect directly to the screen.

Symanski

Are you saying that Sky+ would give superior performance via your conversion box RGB to component against a direct RGB scart connection to the Hitachi AV box?

6. MARLEYMAN

MARLEYMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tks for this. Would you buy a Svideo to Svideo cable or is there any advantage in buying an SVideo to scart ? I have been grown up, gathered up all my patience and ordered the wall mount from Unicol which will take 4-5 days to arrive. Next weekend I'm actually hoping for bad weather !!!

7. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Just checked the unit and have to slightly correct what I said before. The rear s-video socket is an output only,there is an s-video input under the flap at the front. The AV1 scart does accept s-video signal, AV2 and 3 are RGB and composite only. So an S-video to scart lead seems the best option as a front connection is untidy unless you plan to hide the AV box - quite possible as the remote seems to only need to see the screen.

8. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Oops. The 42PD3000 has RGB SCARTs, which you can and should connect Sky + to. The 42PMA400 would require a component converter.

All the best,

John.