Would a VPN solve P2P throttling?

Tommy Teapot

Hi,

Im curious as to whether going through a VPN would stop isp's from throttling peer to peer activity? Its just im paying quite a bit for my current isp (who dont throttle) and im thinking about leaving due to the monthly usage cap. So, by going through a VPN would that bypass throttling via isp's?

Thanks

Tommy Teapot

the reason i ask is because im looking to change ISP's, its just im paying £44 per month and still only get a 45GB cap. (unlimited at weekends and after 12pm during the week tho). I was looking to move to one of these unlimited ISP's, i know they throttle but i was hoping a VPN would solve the peer 2 peer throttling etc. I actually use a VPN at present which allows peer 2 peer, it works really well, im not sure if this is because my ISP doesnt throttle peer 2 peer, im worried if i go to BT etc they would throttle the VPN speeds.

thanks

Chuck Norris

Distinguished Member
It will work mate, as you've experienced first hand.

I use a VPN with Virgin all the time but to be honest I've never noticed them throttle P2P anyway, they just throttle the entire connection once you hit STM.

Best thing to do, post specifically on the BT Forums asking about the policy and also what your specific area is like for speeds etc.

That will give you a much better idea.

Tommy Teapot

how badly is it throttled? am i right in saying a VPN will speed things up if the VPN side of things can handle it?

hlpmeimdrowning

Hi, I don't work for BT, but again I can confirm there is absolutely no throttling or traffic shaping on p2p on their unlimited fibre service.
I get my full connection speed (52 meg), at any time of the day or week. This usually translates into just under 6 megabytes per second. I usually download The Daily Show and The Colbert Report after tea on a weekday, and since the totally unlimited policy change it takes about 4 seconds.

I understanding that you may have concerns with the length of contract and BT customer service is not great, but you can't dispute the speed of connection and the lack of throttling!

Tommy Teapot

Hi, I don't work for BT, but again I can confirm there is absolutely no throttling or traffic shaping on p2p on their unlimited fibre service.
I get my full connection speed (52 meg), at any time of the day or week. This usually translates into just under 6 megabytes per second. I usually download The Daily Show and The Colbert Report after tea on a weekday, and since the totally unlimited policy change it takes about 4 seconds.

I understanding that you may have concerns with the length of contract and BT customer service is not great, but you can't dispute the speed of connection and the lack of throttling!
thank you my good man! good affirmative answer right there :thumbsup: think ill go for it then! my contract with my current isp is up at the end of the month, will make the switch then. :)

majnu

Didn't know they changed their policy. Will have to give them a call.
edit - I had to renew my policy for a further 12 months, no monthly increase as I was on their top package anyway but the unlimited usage inc p2p will take affect on Tuesday. :)

Last edited:

Tommy Teapot

Didn't know they changed their policy. Will have to give them a call.
edit - I had to renew my policy for a further 12 months, no monthly increase as I was on their top package anyway but the unlimited usage inc p2p will take affect on Tuesday. :)
good to hear buddy! :thumbsup:

FaxFan2002

how badly is it throttled? am i right in saying a VPN will speed things up if the VPN side of things can handle it?
Really bad traffic shaping at peak times. I had them a while ago and I was getting 35ms latency on a ADSL connection (via Eclipse) moved to BT FTTC and got 300ms+. Basically online gaming seems to be classed as P2P. Moved my FTTC to eclipse and bingo 8ms latency.... speaks volumes..

So things to be careful of - are you using P2P or something that can be classed as such? Are you in a good / bad BT area (yes they do exist, google is your friend)? Network latency is an issue with BT download speeds are not.

Film2240

Novice Member
I can add that since I use a VPN for nearly everything (mainly tethering without the right plan to cut costs),I never get trottled for P2P but the VPN may likely affect your maximum speed (most deliver around 16MBps so on my 3G connection I notice this quite a bit) that you can download at (especially a free VPN like Hotspotshield,the one I use because I'm a cheapskate) :)

muppetman74

Skimming through the thread, but Virgin do traffic shape P2P and Usenet etc. and a VPN will avoid this.

As mentioned, not all VPN services are created equal - and you need to be aware that just because a VPN service advertises 100mb, for example, your ISP may throttle the VPN connection. Virgin does this with several VPN providers - I noticed this as they started doing it with VyperVPN (Giganews VPN) last year and my speeds dropped. Went through the hoops with Virgin and Giganews support, but found I could connect at full speed from a friends leased line - once I changed VPN provider, I regained my full speeds through VPN.

Worth a thought

mintcreg

Standard Member
I've been with BT over 12 months now on Fibre 2 to start with and I never had a problem until I hit the "non existent" 300GB Cap which was removed in 2010 I think.

In their T&C's it does state that they may throttle during peak times, however during peak times and non peak times I'm throttled to bits. Be it via Socks 5 Proxy or VPN or through a VPS I have.

Its not a connectivity issue as I'm hitting my 75Mb/s via speedtest and 10MB download speeds through the likes of Steam etc...

From reviews I would recommend Virgin as they only have a daily limit and generally no throttling. :)

hlpmeimdrowning

I've been with BT over 12 months now on Fibre 2 to start with and I never had a problem until I hit the "non existent" 300GB Cap which was removed in 2010 I think.

In their T&C's it does state that they may throttle during peak times, however during peak times and non peak times I'm throttled to bits. Be it via Socks 5 Proxy or VPN or through a VPS I have.

Its not a connectivity issue as I'm hitting my 75Mb/s via speedtest and 10MB download speeds through the likes of Steam etc...

From reviews I would recommend Virgin as they only have a daily limit and generally no throttling. :)
BT have stopped throttling for all services for their Totally Unlimited Fibre customers - the only catch is you have to recontract with them for 12 months. I used to get throttled too, but now don't. Follow the link I pasted earlier in the thread for details straight from the horses mouth.

mintcreg

Standard Member
That actually rings a bell, I hear about something like that but didn't see anywhere if it was true or not.

Due to reasons I cannot explain on here I cannot re-contract but I've switched my VPN and finished wiring my house with CAT6 so I'm back to good speeds again :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom