Would a VGA-Component or DVI-Component work ok in Media Centre??

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by del_86, Apr 23, 2007.

1. del_86

del_86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +245
    Evening All,

I've spent the last week or so purchasing components and building my first Media Centre running MC2005 :D
    I'm absolutely delighted with it - apart from the old 50hz/60hz display problem with Live and Recorded TV.

The PC specs are an Athlon 4600 dual core, Asus M2A-VM with onboard x1250 Radeon graphics 1Gig Ram, 400gig hard drive in a Silverstone L17 case.
    My LCD is a Samsung L26R41 BDX.

The display in VGA @ 1366x7x68 is brilliant except for the minor motion problems with live/recorded tv.
    The TV doesnt seem to like the PC connected via a DVI to HDMI Cable. Even the manual says its a no no.

This got me thinking.
    The Live TV pic is ok, but i'm striving for something that is at least on par with the old pvr we got rid of.
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but would a VGA or DVI to component lead provide a good picture at 50hz??
    I know component is analogue, but is supposed to accept at least 720p.
    I've scanned this forum over the last day or so and no one seems to mention it (its all about digital :D ).
    Also, how would the TV accept Component if this is possible?
    For example, can you get 1:1 mapping, or would it be 720p which would then have to be amended. Can you use powestrip?

If possible i was thinking of using DVI - component (digital to analogue i know) and also perhaps VGA as backup for surfing the web.

Please accept my apologies if this has been asked before, or if its simply plain dumb :)

Also, i dont really have any high def material that i would miss out on if i went this way.
    My wife is talking about a conservatory next year, so i could always buy a new telly then that does 1:1 HDMI mapping which would save all of these problems :)

Regards,
    Del

2. del_86

del_86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +245
    I'm even more confused now :eek:

It seems that although i bought the Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard (which has the Radeon 1250 card) only a couple of weeks ago it, there is a new version out with an Nvidia card which has, yep you've guessed it, a TV out module complete with component connection :mad: :mad:

Could i buy this module on its own (doubtful if its a different make of card) or could someone point me in the direction of a DVI to component adaptor/cable - i've spent the last hour trawling the net to to avail.

Cheers

3. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    The M2NPV-VM motherboard is not new it has been available for about a year. I have built 3 PCs with this excellent board which has an on-board Nvidia 6150. It does indeed come with a component-out widget although irritatingly not with an SPDIF-out widget that is unavailable.

I have a 46" Samsung LCD TV & the best possible MCE picture is obtained using an Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender connected via component. The MCE system is connected via DVI-HDMI to a Panasonic PT-AE700 projector which does perfect 1:1 pixel mapping & 50Hz beautifully gives me a 120" picture & cost half the price of the TV:)

Not sure what to recommend to you though. A new motherboard might well be cheaper than any cable or converter box.

4. del_86

del_86

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +245
    Damn - Thats what i thought :)
    There was me thinking i had researched everything before i built as well :(

I might try and see if i can get a picture via DVI->HDMI, but i've not had much success so far and i dont think the Samsun R41 is very good with this for pc use.
    The only other thing i can think of was picking up a graphics card on ebay, but that kinda defeats the purpose.

I was hoping to utilise some sort of DVI adaptor (Even scart or svideo) as i am delighted with the VGA connection at 1366x768, but just need a solution that can give me a half decent picture for Live TV and Recorded TV at 50hz.
    I could then switch from VGA when watching the TV (PC has VGA and DVI).

Can anyone help?