1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would a UK bought Tosh XS32 work in Sweden ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by redeby, Dec 9, 2004.

1. redeby

redeby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have read quite a bit about the Toshiba XS32 and it seems to have all the features I want. I live in Sweden and the Toshiba is not sold over here so I am considering ordering a region free version from UK.

One concern I have is that I some years back was told that UK and Sweden uses different PAL systems which may cause problems (no sound etc) when using a UK PAL device in Sweden.

Is this true ?, Would I get problems using a UK bought XS32 in Sweden or would it work just fine ?

Thanks

2. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  3. redeby

redeby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ferris, that was some good information. So it should at work for recordings and playback trough RGB but will have problems with the built in tuner and RF in/out signal.

I was able to download the XS32 documentation and it states "signal system: standard PAL colour TV system" and I found the following section in the installation guide for the input signal: "Select when viewing and/or recording PAL signals broadcasted mainly in England. Additionally select when recording PAL signals from the AV1(AUDIO/VIDEO)IN/OUT socket, the AV2(SAT/DECODER)IN/OUT socket, or the INPUT jacks on the front panel."

I was hopeing that the XS32 would support all PAL formats automatically but the phrase seems to state it only supports PAL-I and that it may apply to the composite signal in the scart as well.

I think its probably best for me to not order one from UK and find another DVD/HDD recorder that is marketed in sweden instead. So even though the answer was not what I hoped for I'm glad it helped me find this out now rather than finding it the hard way later.

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have you phoned Toshiba? It's in their interests to help you - especially if you tell them you know the Pioneers are OK. This is true, you select the country for the tuner during setup. It is separate from the language setting. The manual is also explicit about PAL B/G operation.

I'dbe surprised if Tosh didn't support PAL B/G as it's used petty much all over Europe - see http://www.drakeav.com/europe.htm

5. mac66

mac66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont know if this helps I was going to buy a JVC DRM10 dvd recorder From the UK from a online store as we in Ireland use Pal I the same as UK .So I phone up JVC UK and asked would that dvd recorder work in Ireland & was told it would Not .Different tuner in the Irish models " UHF & VHF " UK models have only UHF 21/69
    Only.
    Mac66.

6. redeby

redeby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've made a query to Toshiba UK yesterday on their website and is waiting for an answer.

I didn't think about checking the UHF / VHF bands and when I looked in the manual I see "channel coverage: PAL I VHF A-J,11,13,E2-E12 UHF E21-E69 CATV X,Y,Z,S1-S41,1-53"
    So there it says "PAL I", missed that before. No mention of b/g.
    I guess Toshiba, as JVC, has different tuners for different markets :(

I did find the XS32 available in Germany and they have PAL b/g but as I have 100+ R1's in my collection and the XS32 dont seem to be available regionfree in Germany that option is also out

Thanks,
    H-B