1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would a subwoofer land me in court?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mr_wriggly, Sep 22, 2002.

1. mr_wriggly

mr_wriggly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to add a subwoofer to my home cinema setup to give the low range a bit of a kick in the pants.
    However, I live in a terraced house and if decent subs are half as beefy as people make out I've a strong feeling that such a purchase might be less than popular with the neighbours! :D

My walls aren't exactly thick, so should I just be content what I've got? What about one of these smaller subwoofers e.g. Pro 50 or REL Quake? I wouldn't be wanting to spend more than 400 quid anyway.

Current stuff:
    Marantz SR6200
    Toshiba SD210E
    Mission M73
    Mission M7C2
    Mission M77DS

(Moving to a detached house is, unfortunately, not an option!)

Cheers

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    James,
    You could do what i did a few years back when living in a terraced house. I spoke to my neighbours about my planned purchase for a REL Sub and explained to them what it would do. So i then asked them if they would object to me using one at certain times during the day and early evening for movie watching. They all agreed that this would be acceptable as long as i stuck to the agreement.

After a few months my neighbours were more frequent visitors than i had bargained on, but i never once got a complaint about the sound as i stuck to what we agreed to.

This might be something for you to try, when people see that you are concerned about them, and that you are being sensible about things, they won't mind a bit. (but then they could just be arses).

Give it a go.

Oh and yes if they complain to enviroental health about the db level, you could very easily have a summons, and a fine of £5k

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Thin party walls and proper subwoofers don't make good bedfellows.

The Pro 50 still packs a reasonable punch and will annoy the neighbours if it's against the party wall.

If the sub can't be heard next door through thin party walls, it isn't worth buying.

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,741
    LOL very true that one!

I live in a semi, and have come to a similar arrangement with my neighbours, although not one which is really set in stone!

Most people are reasonable, and like THX says, so long as you are too it shouldnt be a problem.

And besides, would you rather be driving a Ferrarri in a 30mph speed limit, or a Fiat Uno?

I know what I'd rather have;)

5. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sad but true, here's what i did, went round next door, mobile in hand... sat in their house and got my system turned up and up and up untill i could hear it from a very quiet neighbours lounge! that set a level where i knew i was gonna get roasted!

true story!

At the end of the day treat them how you wanna be treated.;)

Taz.:cool:

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well all agreements I had with my neighbours were voided the second they put their then 2 week old baby in the room next to mine.

Kid's got lungs, and don't keep to no time frame.

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Does the placement of the sub have a big effect? I'm moving to a semi soon, with the lounges sharing a wall. Would the sound transmission to next door be much lower if the sub is not against the party wall?

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It would probably be a bit lower but not significantly so. Our bedroom is above the living room and the bass is certainly transmitted upwards except at the sort of levels that mean you might as well not have one.

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is worth trying Taz's approach. I have done the same thing with my neighbours in my last two houses. I'm lucky in that both were built c.1875 and so even the party walls are very thick.

I was actually suprised just how loud I could turn my system up without disrupting the neighbours too much.

I also tend to watch films mid to late evening on a weekend, when most people are either out or up and doing noisy stuff themselves.

10. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I did a similar thing to Taz, luckily the place is well built the walls are over a foot thick and the bass doesn't travel through to next door. Trouble is very high frequency’s do get through to next door via the chimney breast at high volumes but I know how loud I can go without disturbing the neighbours too much now. Some councils don’t take noise pollution as seriously as others but it’s still best to try and work something out with your neighbours, if you want to remain friends.

11. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I play in a band and our neigbours complained about the noise to the council and they sent someone round with a SPL meter, we had a nice little note telling us we were approx 107db outside (god know's how loud we were inside), we simply agreed to find somewhere else to practise and never heard anything else, so they seem reluctant to take people to court for a single offence.

We actually wondered why she didn't come round and ask us to turn it down, until a week later we saw an article about it in a local rag, apparently she was editor of the rag and just wanted an article out of it ! Some people eh. At least we got some publicity for the band, shame she got the name wrong.

12. mr_wriggly

mr_wriggly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL! I can sympathise completely! Little brat next door sure can scream. Mind you, so would I if my parents had called me "Levi".
    :rolleyes:

Maybe a subwoofer would be suitable payback........

13. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    mmm. So when I first set up my system, the trick is to turn it up really loud so the council comes round. Then while they are measuring the sound pressure, pop in Avia and use the test tones to calibrate to 75dB. Save myself £25 on a SPL meter!

14. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Make sure you can hear the council when they come round, the poor bloke had to wait outside for 20 minutes until we stopped for a fag break.

15. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do thicker walls really provide sound insulation?

I would have thought a solid wall would have been a better conductor of low frequency sounds. Especially if the sub is against the wall.

I thought the only way to soundproof is to inslate the room in sound absorbing material anything else is fruitless.