would a sub improve dvd audio sound

D

DonMaico

I have a pair of Kef Q55 , Q85c and a pair of tiny 55s rears andc was wondering if a sub would improve the sound from all channels. the rears are obviously severely lacking in the bass department. :) :clap:

A good sub (and it would have to be a good one) will provide more low end on DVD Audio but not to the same scale as it would on films as the average piece of music doesn't have the same depth as in some films.

Another thing to bear in mind is that you would be at the mercy of the bass management facilities in the DVD player and some of them are quite rudimentary.

Thanks Ian
Not sure how rudimentary mine is - its a Toshiba 520e
I thought of a BK sub. would that work OK?

In theory a sub should be good for both music and movies but in practice the timing is more important when listening to music than when watching a film so a sub that we might enjoy reproducing explosions in an action film might be annoying if the bass notes lagged ever so slightly behind the rest in music.

The BK XLS2000 should be fine as it has a music heritage behind it.

Have a look at the bass management options within the Toshiba menu to see if it has sufficient flexibility for your needs.

Hi Ian
Thats odd I thought I sent a reply yesterday but it hasnt gone through?? Just to say that sadly my Tosh doesnt appear to have bass management( according to the manual not evident) so it looks like I'll have to buy a new one. The question is which one.Pioneer do several starting from dv565 to 656, 747or 668avs. All Universal players which would be a bonus although I see that sacd does not support bass management for whatever reason???I ve heared mixed views about pioneer some people reckoning them to be too bright. I also see tha HK make dvd audio ( dvd31or30) aaat £399. Thsi might make sense as I already have an HK 5500 reciever. do you havbe aqny opinions that could help me make a choice? Cheers!

I have the Pioneer 656 which suits me fine and makes a great job of DVDA and SACD but I'm no expert on DVD players

thanks again for your reply Ian. Must admit I thought you were the resident expert on all matters concerning hifi/ av. Maybe I should try the dvd player section. I didnt know about base management until you mentioned it . I guess than in the case of dvdaudio ( because its an analogue feed into amp) it would use the onboard dac for base management. Cant understand why sacd doesnt use it tho. Any way thanks for your advice . Much appreciated. Cheers!

My Denon 2900 is much better with dvda and sacd when my sub is utilised, no doubt about it.

Thanks Polly,
Have oredered my sub ( Bk) and'll justr have to wait and see how it sounds. Whats an svs?

DonMaico said:
Whats an svs?

svs = SV Subwoofer. A range of tall tubular and larger-than-normal box-shaped subwoofers.

Usually larger than domestically produced subwoofers. An SV Subwoofer offers very high levels (100+dBs) of very deep bass in comparison with almost anything on the market in its price range. Available by mail order only from the USA. Usually 'door to door' delivery is arranged by SVS and paid for by the grateful customer. :D

They sell mostly on the enthusiastic recommendation of fellow AV enthusiasts on AV fora worldwide. Once an SV Subwoofer is experienced it is difficult to imagine how more ordinary subwoofers survive on the market at higher prices. Until you remember that most AV enthusiasts have a partner (of some sort). This is where size comes into the equation. :blush:

Some AV enthusiasts fear the wrath of their partner if they bring an SV Subwoofer into their home AV system.

I just say: Wimps are wimps and don't deserve an SVS anyway! :devil:

Nimby

Read here what all the fuss is about:

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/news.htm

Ian been getting my knickers in a twist over this bass management doodah. Think I got the gist of it now.

DonMaico said:
Blast if only I'd known about them. Got my BK on order now.

SVS have got such a low profile on this forum. :D

The BK is an excellent sub but the SVS serves a different marketplace

DonMaico said:
LOL !
Blast if only I'd known about them. Got my BK on order now.

Every journey begins with one small step.

Sometimes the journey is the important thing.

Getting to your destination is only part of the process.

Sometimes an SV Subwoofer is not the destination.

But merely a pleasant viewpoint on the way.

The goalposts never remain completely still for long.

Perhaps the pursuit is the thing?

But only for the duration of the journey.

You'll know instinctively when you have finally arrived.

Happiness may be 16-46 shaped. But only for the few.

Others still have their eye drawn from the path.

For there are other siren temptresses on the rocks.

Strewn along the way.

Nimby :)

Subs can help a lot but they are not plug and play. If the sub slows the music it is IMO becuase they are not set up correctly.

Yep, a good sub, properly positioned, set up and integrated will make a world of difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom