1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would a screen improve the picture further & grey background advise

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by brad123, Feb 4, 2002.

1. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Would a screen improve my new pannies picture quality further, at the moment its onto my white wall in the front room.

Also when i watch a dvd film there is the light shaded area above and below the actual picture itself, what is this, its the backgrond i believe and you can set it to black, grey or blue but i thought a widescreen film would not have any backround bars etc, is it something to do with the ration of the film i am watching of the dvd players settings.
    How would i get rid of this.

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    If you watch anything 'wider' than 1.78:1 you'll get some bars. 1.85:1 will have tiny bars, 2.35:1 bigger ones.

Two things to bear in mind.

1) Get some black cloth to cover over these bars. Even at their best, they will never be completely black. With black 'masks', you shouldn't notice the bars anymore. I haven't done this, but people say that it makes a *big* difference to watching movies, as you can focus on the movie itself and not worry about the bars.

2) Grey screens may help. I tried painting a sheet of hardboard with Dulux Icestorm 5 & 6. 6 Is very pale, but 5 clearly improved black levels. It might also reduce the whites, so you'll need to play. Some people have said a 50/50 mix of 5 & 6 is good. Best to do a test.

Get some thin board that you can put up against the wall. Paint panels of Icestorm 5, 50:50 5&6, and 6 on it. Then try projecting some test scenes and see what you think. You might need to adjust brightness or contrast to compensate for the reduced whites, and you might lose some shadow detail, but have a play.

Also, set your picture mode to 'cool' (in think - its the one that the manual says is for grey screens)

Let us know how you get on, and what you settle on :)

3. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    few seems like a lot of hard work lol. im happy with my picture but just wondered if it would improve it.

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    well its bound to be *some* work ;P

I picked up a tester pot of each paint from B&Q for 1.99 each, and a sheet of hardboard for 98p. Painted it that evening and gave it a test. Doesn't take long.

The masks thing I think I'd leave for a while, but I'd definitely try and do it eventually. Couple of strips of black cloth with velcro on, and some velcro on the wall at the right spots for 2.35:1 ratio movies.

5. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    another question about the black bars on the picture.

If you put dark felt round the edge of the screen so that you dont notice the black bars on 2:35:1 films, what happens when you view 1:85:1 material where part of the image will now be projected onto the black felt. Do you just reduce the image size so that you project on the screen only and not on the felt.

Sorry for the basic question as I am new to the world of projectors.

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    You'd need to adjust the positions.

For example, with the panasonic (16:9 panel)

You have a black border around a 16:9 screen (to absorb any stray light or keystone spillage)

Then for a 16:9 image you just project. you may also get away with that for 1.85:1, as the borders will be little.

For 2.35:1, you need extra borders, further in.

Perhaps put some velcro on the border, and some on the wall (either side of the screen), measured so that you get whatever ratio you want.

Or a little frame with a 2.35:1 hole which you can hang over the screen.

7. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought some Black Velvet (not the very shiny kind) from John Lewis thanks to a recommendation from another forum user :). It soaks up the light incredibly well and I only really use my 4:3 projector for 16:9 films and no light is shown above or below the picture now which helps increase the perceived contrast :)

James

8. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Are you happy with your DIY screen? Have you compared it to an "expensive" one?

Do they sell 100" wide sheets of MDF in B&Q, and would they deliver?

Cheers

Mark

9. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Or should that be 100" tall :)

10. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    depends on which way you hold it :p

11. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry , watching too many films on the projector :), watched 'the thing on dvd' and then 5th element on channel 4 using www.dscaler.org , quality for the sum of £1350 is out of this world :) compared to what I was going to buy! (toshiba RPTV 40")

The only screens Ive seen are the ones at work, and to be honest my screen is far better, but the ones at work are white not grey. Grey screens enhance the contrast of your projector and imho makes films such as pitch black very enjoyable to watch on an LCD projector.

The small B&Q centres don't sell very large pieces of MDF, you will need to go to one of the massive B&Q warehouses. I think I went to the one in Erdington and asked for their largest MDF wood (8 foot by 4 foot) to be cut to 88" by 48" as that is the size I needed. The wood cost about £10 and then I realised it was rather large to put in the car... so I asked for it to be delivered which cost about £15 so in total of £25 it was delivered within the hour!. I had been home for 5 mins then a knock at the door and it was them!.

Even though the biggest MDF size is 8 foot by 4 foot you could put them together and have a frame at the back, although I suggest getting MDF about 11mm thick so it does'nt warp.

One day I will get a website setup, as large screen home cinema does'nt have to cost a fortune! and blows away RPTV's.

Regards,
    James

12. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for fun, yesterday I painted a board with Ice Storm 4 on one half and Ice Storm 5 on the other and tried it with my LT150 (which has the clear section mod). I really was surprised at how good it was at improving the black level. Ice Storm 4 gave the best black level as you would expect but the picture was far too dark (the LT150 is only 800 lumens, less with the colour wheel mod), Ice Storm 5 wasn't far behind with the black level and gave a much brighter picture but still wasn't bright enough and this is when used in a room with no windows with all the walls painted with flat black paint and black carpet. So, today I'll go and get some Ice Storm 6 and have a play with that, probably have a go at a 50/50 mix as per fulabeer's original post and see what the difference is. I'm wondering now how good the Stewart Firehawk is given that it's grey but manages to have a gain of 1.3, don't suppose there's anybody here who has gone from a painted grey screen to the Greyhawk or the Firehawk (is it available yet?).

13. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I will be very interested in your results!

Tell me what you recommend for blacking out the borders too...

Thanks

14. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got around to comparing Icestorm 5, 6 and a 50/50 mix of 5 and 6 today. I spent a fair bit of time using the DisplayMate setup software (www.displaymate.com/dwshots.html) looking at various test patterns to judge how the colours compared with the different paint mixes. 6 was definitely much brighter than 5 with the blacks still looking reasonable. The 50/50 mix looked a good compromise as fulabeer has reported in previous posts but I didn't really have a preference for one or the other, compared to my Da-Lite High Power screen the colours were insipid and lacklustre, generally lifeless. Yes these paints give very good black levels but at the cost of colour fidelity. Made me realise how good the High Power screen is, up to now I had been focusing on it's short comings, after this test I can now see it's benefits. Keen to see a Firehawk in action now, have Stewart managed to keep good colour fidelity in their quest for better blacks?

15. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I first painted a greyscreen it made the blacks 60% better on my XGA projector, however like you say it makes the picture look bland. However after finding the service/factory menu you can change individual contrast for each r/g/b and also the gain/bias of each colour. Bumping these up and down you get an unbelieable picture with great blacks :)

I quote 'that looks better than our TV picture!' while watching The Fifth Element on Channel 4 via dscaler :)

James

16. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James

There's only about 35 miles between us, how about we get together and check out each other's picture? We'll have a common frame of reference then.