1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would a rear projection TV be better than CRT for DVD viewing?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by zsaddique, Jan 2, 2002.

1. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a few of you know, I've been looking closely at the Loewe Aconda models for our new widescreen TV.

Originally we intended to replace our main television in the living room (an 8 years old, but still quite solid, Grundig rear projection telly) with the Aconda.

Now, however, we've decided to keep the Grundig a year or two more and instead get the Aconda for our best room (which is rarely used, and would therefore be absolutely perfect for a true home cinema setup). :p

The only snag is that the equipment must look good, but that's obviously not gonna be a problem with the television if we go for a Loewe Aconda (and I've got my eye on the lovely Kef Eggs!).

But I've been doing a lot of reading lately, and it seems many rear projection owners love playing DVD movies on their sets, and with screen sizes like the Toshiba's 56", I'm sure it gives a real cinematic experience.

So, my question is, do you believe that a rear projection (such as the Toshiba models which a lot of forum members love) can give a more superior picture to large (32/36") CRT sets?

I know the size differences mean a lot, but putting that aside, how does the picture quality compare to that of a CRT television, such as the Loewe Aconda or the Toshiba 36"?

I'll probably end up getting the Aconda, but this should turn out to be a great discussion anyway! :D

Cheers!

Zahid Saddique

2. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Well since you own a rear pro set you know about their shortcomings, having said that i bought a 36" Tosh and ended up disapointed , these big ctr sets seem to really struggle producing a natural picture i had a awful fishbowl effect on mine [amongst other things]. Mybe the Aconda is better but i feel you will crave for a larger cinematic effect which these tellies do give.
    I have a Hitachi 43" which gives a much better all round picture, looks good and is build very well [ unlike thosh ] if you have the space try Empire direct and go for the bigger version you should get a bargain in sales......:D

3. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Martin,

I have to admit, my ancient rear projection is in great condition considering how long it's lasted. Sure, it might not be as clear and sharp, and as vivid as a modern telly, but the geometry is perfect, I don't have brightness defects, and never once have we had a problem with it. In fact, it's quite a classic, the screen when turned off closes and folds itself into it's wooden stand/case... now try and find a tv that will do that! :eek:

I'm sure after all these years, rear projections have got much better. DVD's aren't too good on mine but as I mentioned a lot of forum users seem to be delighted with DVD's on their giant tv's. I did do some research and felt that the Hitachi Illumini series had a better feature-set and picture than Toshiba's rear projections, but unfortunately my mum can't take an "ugly thing like that" in our best room! :(

I know what you mean about the problems with new 36" tv's, people on this forum are screaming about their problems. But the Loewe Aconda (not Anaconda!!! :D) is meant to be the best of the bunch, thought a tad expensive. Plus, it's a 32", which probably is more safer, problems-wise.

Thanks for your reply. ;)

Zahid

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Definatley REAR.

They have improved in recent years.

I bought a Tosh 40" recently and I was gobsmacked with the pic quality.

I'll never buy a CRT TV again (unless there are some dramatic improvements with pic and size of tube), it would be like going back to black & white!

5. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, that's definately an enthusiastic reply!! :eek:

Why do you say that? Apart from the size difference (which probably has a huge cinematic effect) what other benefits can you see picture-wise?

I think I might have to get a DVD demonstration on one of these sets. I just wish they were well-built and good looking, otherwise convincing the family we need a giant piece of plastic in our best room wouldn't be an easy thing! :(

6. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    What about a projector and a pulldown screen? For the same money, you could easily get an ultracrisp 6-feet-wide picture. Now that's cinematic. And less bulk.

7. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestion Grubert but I'm certainly not ready for that yet. I'm only 17 and have just started learning about home cinema (and love every bit of it! :D). Maybe I might consider this in the future but right now I still have a lot to learn and would rather stick to a more "traditional" method! ;)

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    The picture on a RP TV has more of a 'cinematic' feel to it than a CRT TV. It's awesome with DVDs.

Don't bother judging the pic quality with the setups in the High st though, they are not the best play for a demo. Try and find a good independent shop that has set up and callibrated correctly.

9. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I've mentioned, RP tv's do have a more cinematic feel, but that's probably just due to the size compared to a CRT. What I'm trying to discover is what benefits the actual picture of a rear projection may have over a CRT's picture, if any.

BTW, I know exactly what you mean about pic quality in the stores, I can't believe these guys are actually selling their rear projection sets the way they treat them!!

10. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    NO it's not just the size, there's more to it than that.
    It's hard to explain really.

The quality of the projected image, the flat, matt, unreflective screen all contribute.

Regarding Stores' setups.

I must have travelled a hundred miles visiting various stores and not once did i get a good demo.

I managed to view a DVD on the Tosh (which I eventually bought) but still wasn't convinced. I must have been there for over an hour with a selection of my own DVDs trying to convince myself that making a purchase was the right decision.
    I was convinced that the DVD was using composite SCART as the pic looked a bit fuzzy and dull. As I or the assistant couldn't change the settings on the DVD I took a chance and in the end relied on the rave reviews it got in the mags plus some very useful advice from this very forum (like you are seeking now).

Anyway, when I eventually got the TV, I couldn't believe the difference in quality. The RGB on the DVD and STB made ALL the difference. Also the S-VHS and analog terrestrial quality is top draw too.

Good Luck!

11. highisland

highisland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone tell me where in Central London I could view a proper set-up of a Tosh RPTV?

I'm based out in Surrey during the week but I can get into town on the weekends.

TIA

12. torimusic

torimusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO there is no better electronic display device that can outperform a traditional CRT.

I had the choice of RPTV when I was looking to buy a new TV. The only advantage of the RPTV was its big 43" screen and less heavy than CRT.
    Nothing can beat the pin sharp accuracy and detail of a CRT image. Even at work, I notice a huge difference in picture quality between a CRT monitor and a TFT monitor.
    This is the reason I settled for a 36" widescreen CRT TV (Panasonic TX-36PG50) which I am very happy with.
    My only option for a big screen would be a high end CRT projector but I have not won the lottery yet.

13. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Admittedley CRT TVs do look better from any angle and any distance.

With an RP TV there is a limited vertical angle (horizontal is OK) and a minimum viewing distance.

But it is still much clearer than my old Sony 50Hz 32" WS TV and my m8's Pan 100Hz 32"WS TV which are both exceptional TVs in their own right.

So much so, that my brother (who I sold my Sony TV to) prefers to come round to my house to watch DVDs. It's not the size he likes but the clarity of the picture which always comments on

14. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kevo,

That's quite a resounding endorsement. So if you're saying that a good 40" (or maybe 42" ?) RP is better than a 32"CRT, that would make it very much better than a plasma at a fraction of the cost.

If I thought a 40" (or 42") RP had a better picture than my 32" Sony Wega then I'd have one tomorrow. Mmm, must get round to finding one thats well setup.

Allan

15. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Don't quite get your Plasma comparison.

I'm saying that it's better than what I've seen so far.
    Obviously I haven't seen every 32" WS TV viewed under ideal conditions.

Yes, the newer Sonys and Pans etc give excellent pic quality and may well give an overall clearer pic. But I still wouldn't go back to one.

16. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    KEVO, Ive been thinking about the Hitachi Ilumina but havent seen one set up properly. How good is it when showing sports such as football? Does it display a smearing effect?
    Do you have to have the curtains closed for normal viewing?
    I like the size of the 43" set but am worried about the limitations that seem to plague RPTV's.

17. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Sorry, I don't know anything about this TV.

All I can tell you is the experiences I've had from own Tosh RP TV.

I certainly don't need to close the curtains. Maybe on the older 4:3 RP TVs like you see in the pub, but definatley not so on the more recent WS models.

It's equally as good in daylight as it is at night.

Same goes for viewing from different horizintal angles.

I have no regrets at all. I do sympathize with you, it took me forever to make my mind up which set to buy. I narrowed it down in the end to a couple of 36" CRTVs and a few 40-42" RP TVs.

You'll never be able to view them all, so I relied on reviews and advice from this forum in the end.

18. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
  19. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kevo,

Seems like you (and a few reviews here and there) have convinced me.. I've had a word with the family, and they're willing to go for a big screen (a Hitachi 43" Illumina, I don't like the Toshiba looks, plus I LOVE the progressive scan feature of the Hitachi) but ONLY if I can get a good demonstration of it FIRST! :(

I've been doing a bit of searching, but the only place I can find that sell it is John Lewis, and when I saw it it looked like ****!! I doubt they'd give me a decent demonstration even if I paid them.

If you (or anyone else reading this) know anywhere I could get a demonstration let me know plz! :D

Thanks!

20. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kevo
    My Sony 32" CRT picture quality is better than any plasma I've seen, if (your) RP is better than a 32" Sony CRT then that makes your RP *much* better than plasma.

Allan