1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would a Pre-Amp be a beneficial purchase?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Hawklord, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I'm currently using an Arcam A75+ integrated coupled with a P80 power amp to bi-amp my Linn Ninka's.I'm very happy with the sound it delivers for music/movies with my Naim CD5i and HC set up but still wish to get the best from my speakers.
    The next logical step to audio nirvana is to probably make my Ninka's aktive but I'm unsure which is the best way to go about this?
    I'm not entirely sure the A75+/P80 combo with the addition of another P80 is capable enough via the Linn tune box option and would I need a pre-amp stage to get the best results? I've been happy with the Arcam/Linn combination up to now but maybe I need to replace the whole amplification side of things to provide the Ninka's with necessary omf to get the best results.
    I'll probably be looking to do this in stages as money is tight at the moment so would getting a half decent pre-amp be the next sensible purchase. Would it be wise to get a linn pre-amp and couple that with Linn power amps at a later date when funds permit or would any other make be a suitable alternative? I'm assuming the aktive cards or Linn tune box would be best partnered with Linn products since they were designed with them in mind? I'd probably be looking at spending around £2500 in three hits over the next 12 months or so. (second hand is an option ;))

As you can see I'm a little undecided and some guidence would be much apreciated. :suicide: I'm sure there is more to be eeked out of these superb speakers I just need to know which way to go :confused:

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    looks like I'm on my own with this one then :blush:

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    :lease:

anyone been in a similar position? :rolleyes:

4. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im not sure that adding a preamp to an exisiting system that
    lacks "omf" would make any difference.
    I found the arcam a75 to be decidedly bland and uninvolving.
    Why not demo NAIM its a lot smoother now but still has PRAT