Would a B&W XTC speaker be a good match for the B&W CM9's floorstanders?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by SIMO, Sep 8, 2012.

1. SIMO

SIMO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Currently have XT2's and XTC as the front sound stage and M1's as the surround's.
    As I'm starting to listen to more music and the kids are bit more grown up I'm looking at getting some floorstanders and using the XT2's as surrounds.

I can get a good deal on some CM9's and like the sound of them but am wondering how they will fit in and match with XT centre speaker?

2. SIMO

SIMO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Anyone???

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    I think the problem is that you are in a better position to answer than we are. If you have the Center and you have the CM9 fronts, try it and see.

From our perspective, the only possible answer we can give is Yes ... and No.

Ideally you want Brand and Series matched speakers across the front (Left/Center/Right).

But, short of that, and certainly second best, the same brand with similar construction is about as close as you can get and still not quite be there.

Next, how much a mismatch will be noticed by or bother you is a very personal thing. Some people mix and match their speakers and are happy with the result, and others ... not so much.

The XT series are not current designs, at least not that I can determine.So, it is hard to find specifications on them.

From a review, it appears the XT series are pretty good speakers, and there should be no problem with the XT2 in the rear. That should be fine. But it is very hard to predict how well the XTC will do in the front. Tonally, I guess they would be a reasonable match, but that is purely a guess.

That said, the only Center speaker that we know with certainty, will be a tonal match for the CM9 are these -

Experience the B&W CM Centre - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W Speakers

Experience the B&W CM Centre 2 - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W Speakers

Now, the way life works is, you start where you are at and you keep going until you get where you need to be. Start with the XTC center, assuming you already have it, and use your system that way until you are ready to buy the CM Center. If that comes a month down the road, fine. If that time never comes, and you are satisfied with the XTC, then that's fine too.

B&W XT Series Speaker System and PV1 Subwoofer | Home Theater

According to this review, these are reasonable expensive speakers. The Xt2 are approx US$1000 per pair, and the XTC center is about US$800. They both have 5" bass drivers and 1" tweeters. That should be adequate to the job at hand. The XTC are good to about 58hz @ -6dB and the XT2 are good to about 52hz @ -6dB, which is decent for both speakers.

For reference, the B&W CM2 center is about US$1250 each. The standard CM Center is about US$650. The 5" CM1 bookshelf are about US$1000/pr. I used US Dollar because those were the only prices I could find on the XT Series. That gives you some reference of the relative quality difference between the CM and XT Series.

Being designed by the same company and having similar speaker cone construction (Kevlar) and tweeters, one would except an at least acceptable tonal match. Beyond that, there is little anyone can actually say.

Steve/bluewizard

4. sapnam

sapnam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simo - did you go with the XTC? I have CDM7s in the front an CDMC in the center and 604s as rear speakers. I am also thinking of swapping my CDMC out with an XTC.

5. SIMO

SIMO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I already have the XTC - Have had it about 5 years I guess and have been very happy with it.
    I didn't go for the CDM9s and just kept my XT2's for now until I find some XT4's for the right price.
    I thought the CDM9s were a bit overkill for my room size so put the cash towards a better amp instead!!!

6. TomScrut

TomScrut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    If you can find some the XT8s are better! They have the fst driver. Still go well with the rest and come with stands so they aren't as easy to knock over