1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would a 9600se be suitable for a HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cowtipper, Jul 22, 2004.

1. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as the title says Would a 9600se be suitable for a HTPC or should i go for a different card ?

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I've got one of these, they're fine, the only thing I would say is that if you're planning on using ffdshow resize and VMR9 you get tearing with these cards (9800 are meant to be better). If that (admittedly very specific!) limitation doesn't bother you then go for it, mine does hidef stuff fine and it's great value.

HTH
    Owain

3. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the choice of 2 cards which one would you have the 9600 se or the 9600 pro but hte pro does have a fan

4. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can get the 9600 ( i.e. not s.e. and not pro ) which is fanless.

They come in 128M or 256M variety at about £67 and £75 respectively for a decent "brand name" version. They are positioned somewhere between the s.e. and xt/pro versions.

A technical web review I read somewhere performed tests and concluded the 256M version provided little performance improvement than the 128M version. So I got the 128M version. If you search for my old forum posts you will find a link to the review ( I can't find it in my URLs anymore )

I use it, and it seems fine for me for fullscreen DVDs and fullscreen Nebula DigiTV card at 720x576i. I don't play games, so can't comment on how it handles 3D and such.

5. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool thanks for that its just that i have bought a new pc to use as a htpc and it comes shipped with a 9200 but for an xtra £39 i could have had the 9600 pro