1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would a 256MB card help with HD 1 ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by RecordablDVDfan, Apr 21, 2005.

1. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Would a new (any type ?) 256MB graphics card help with my reception of HD 1 and Astra HD with my Skystar 2 ? If so why ?

I have used a Geforce AGP MX440 128MB and playback is near perfect but after 10 mins or at least on the Astra HD feed the picture starts badly pixelating

I have my eye on a Geforce FX5500 AGP card, is this a good one or what about a Radion type ? My cpu is a HT 3.06Ghz with 1GB of PC2700 RAM, 300GB HDD...

2. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    You should be OK with any 8x AGP card, it's the bandwidth of this that made a difference on my system, difference between my Radeon 9800 Pro and my old Radeon 8500 was that I can now watch hi def :)

3. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Well I can answer my own question, a new Geforce FX5500 256MB makes all the differnece! 30 mins in and I can still get perfect viewing of Astra HD even while recording, with the 128MB card after 10 mins picture would start pixelating

4. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    You'll also notice it's an 8x AGP card! HS stuff needs the memory bandwidth more. MS have a checker somewhere on their site to see how suitable it is for WMV-HD which is a fairly good indicator :)

5. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yep but I'm afraid my AGP slot is only 4x still the extra video memory does help a lot. If you find the MS link please post