Would 2x m&k mx 150 = a 350thx

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by dinoprada2003, Aug 9, 2013.

1. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,827
    I have one m&k 150 mx just wondering if i got another would it be near the performance of a m&k 350 ? :)

2. Darkmatter21

Darkmatter21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    From my experience of doubling subs, i wouldn't say my two xls200s where as good as when i used a sealed monolith (similar to a xxls400) of course your experience may vary!

3. DrGekko

DrGekko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    If you can get another 150 cheap, I would say you'll be very pleased with the results of using both 150's.

I think it's always best to have at least 2 decent subs (or more depending on space) rather than 1 very good one.

4. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,827
    Thanks Dr G Now i just have to try and find a s/h mx 150 :D

5. the_dude2

the_dude2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    I thought conventional wisdom was to have one good sub over 2 not so good ones.

6. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,085
    Correct Sir, although 2 lesser subs may help with a smoother response across the room the better as long as we are talking a much better single sub is regarded as the way to go.

7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,881
    It really does depend on your room and the MPL: I could buy the most expensive sub and put it in place of my Monolith and it'll likely still sound lacking due to acoustics. It's an unfortunate combination of the size of my room and the position I sit in it. However much power I put into the room I'll still suffer a big null around 35Hz (from 30 upto nearly 50Hz is effected).

Ironically when I viewed the house many years ago I thought it would make the perfect cinema room (though it is very good in other respects such as being sat dead centre to the other speakers/screen and having a good space behind for the surround backs to work well).

I've yet to measure it for real, but room modelling seems to show that even a sub that can only drop to 30Hz put at the back of the room would help smooth the response. So in some ways I'd be better off just having say two XLS400s than a very expensive single sub at the front.

If your room is fairly standard rectangle shape then you can use the room modelling in REW to play about with positions to see if there are any nulls in your room with a single sub. Equally you might find that two subs may give you a poor response if (like many :( ) you are limited to where you can locate them.

It's funny...after years of planing and buying hardware upgrades, I keep coming back to the important point that my room effects the sound and picture as much as the components. I just hope that one day I can build a proper dedicated room using all the theory, experience and information I've gleaned from here over the years. :) I'm sure I spent half my recent holiday thinking through how to make various improvements when I revamp my room later this year. :rolleyes:

8. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,827
    Kelvin how can one know if the room is acoustically bad ? Is this something you used equipment to measure for example?

9. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,881
    Well I measured my room using a very basic test CD and SPL meter/spreadsheet whilst trying to get to the bottom of why it didn't sound as full as I expected. I'm limited as to where I can move my sub to due to a wooden floor and cables behind skirting, so I've lived with it for now.

However, recently I had an idea for putting 4 x 12" drivers across the ceiling above my screen (so wouldn't be visible in the room). Some one else modelled this for me using the latest REW update that has added this feature. I then updated my version of REW and just played around with it since my room is a simple rectangle (bar a slight recess for a patio door). This was how I worked out that no matter where I put a single sub;if it was level or in front of my seat I'd suffer this null. Equally if I just put one sub at the back of the room I'd get a different null (around 22Hz IIRC). The solution seems to be having one sub at the front (probably front right) and the other diagonally opposite. (Note that the screenshots below show the subs in the middle of the front and back walls, but this isn't really practical in my room, but the results aren't much different if I move them diagonally opposite).

This is a screenshot of the software showing just a single sub, note the big dip around 35Hz:

[​IMG]

Then adding a second:

[​IMG]

Note that there is a big peak at just above 50Hz and also at around 80Hz but these should be tamed using my Antimode (or if I had an amp with Audyssey for example).