Would 2 identical subs be much better than 2 different subs?

newcomers

Hey,

For years ive struggled with boomy bass in certain spots in my lounge coupled with no bass in other parts. Im fairly limited with places to sit the subs but decided to get another sub to combate the problem.

It has made it slightly better but still have issues with lower levels of bass in certain parts of the lounge, but less than 2ft away being perfect.

I currently have a bk gemini 2 and a Wharfdale dx1 sub. Would upgrading the DX1 to another bk gemini 2 make any difference?

Ive been reading about bass traps but cant see my wife being happy with those, other than matching the subs im not sure what else to try.

wrench86

your usually never going to get perfect bass dispersion in all your seats unless u can convince the wife about bass traps etc. i ran two subs a xls200 and a tannoy sfx, addign the tannoy improved the sub bass on my other sofa but not as good as my MLP (have three in my room in a u shape mlp is obviously the one in the middle of the 'u') the third sofa just never sounded as good as the other two and as they say its the 'mother in law seat'. how the subs interact with your room will be specific to your room, i found the xls200 was a more powerful sub and went lower but the sfx added in the 40hz range for one of my sofa locations. having the two of the same subs may have given me similar response as my MLP but who knows, i just upgraded to one xxls400 .

to summarise my findings one sub is better than two that arent as good and i dont care about the MIL seat!

DrHarvey12

It might be worth finding a piece of bass in a film or music that you find to be good. Then try it with just the Wharfedale and then just the BK. If the output from the BK sounds like a noticeable improvement over the Wharfedale then it may be worth selling the Wharfedale and getting another BK.

The other option (WAF factors notwithstanding) would be to sell both and then get one larger and more powerful subwoofer (as wrench has suggested) which should do a better job of pressurising the entire space and give deeper bass. Optimising a room for one subwoofer tends to be easier than for two or more as you don't get two lots of interactions occurring. Whilst having two can help even out the bass response over a room it can also cause extra cancellations or other issues.

Another option which is unfortunately quite expensive (unless you can pick one up secondhand) would be getting some kind of subwoofer EQ if your receiver doesn't have it. Something like an Antimode 8033 can optimise bass response over several listening positions. I have been very impressed with how well my Antimode 8033 SII has integrated the bass in my room.

newcomers

No response for over a week, and the day I get a reply is the day I got another Gemini!!

Didn't realise they were under an hour from me so just bit the bullet and drove down to them and got one.

Haven't had loads of time with it but the difference was massive. I've had to position both sub's on the same wall, one to the front left and one to the front right. Bass is now a lot more even in all seating positions

newcomers

Ok so after reading @DrHarvey12 reply, ive been researching the antimode 8033. For £235 I might give it a go but I have a question, would I be able to buy a y spillter and run both subs from the output? I know I will have to set it up using one sub, and that if I can run a splitter, the 2nd sub will only be the same as the calibrated sub, but I think this maybe ok.

Thoughts?

DrHarvey12

Hi @newcomers

Yes, with the Cinema version you can use a Y splitter. You can see the connection examples here:

DSPeaker-Anti-Mode 8033 connection examples

Two subwoofers dual mono is shown using a Y cable.

The SII version has two RCA outputs, one at 0 degree phase and one at 180 degree phase. This doesn't need a Y splitter as long as you have the option of inverting the phase on one of the subwoofers (as a starting off point - may not matter if having a different phase setting is optimum anyway).

Having spoken to Tom at BK and some of the sales guys at DSPeaker they all say that the best way to EQ is to have both subs summed to mono and EQ their response together. As long as you try to get the levels from them both fairly even beforehand this is what they believe to be best. In their eyes having both EQ'd as one is the optimum method for the 8033 models and therefore the only option they support. Hope that makes sense!

Oh, and the Antimode does come with a very nice male / female RCA cable so that is one cable you won't need to buy.

newcomers

Hi @newcomers

Yes, with the Cinema version you can use a Y splitter. You can see the connection examples here:

DSPeaker-Anti-Mode 8033 connection examples

Two subwoofers dual mono is shown using a Y cable.

The SII version has two RCA outputs, one at 0 degree phase and one at 180 degree phase. This doesn't need a Y splitter as long as you have the option of inverting the phase on one of the subwoofers (as a starting off point - may not matter if having a different phase setting is optimum anyway).

Having spoken to Tom at BK and some of the sales guys at DSPeaker they all say that the best way to EQ is to have both subs summed to mono and EQ their response together. As long as you try to get the levels from them both fairly even beforehand this is what they believe to be best. In their eyes having both EQ'd as one is the optimum method for the 8033 models and therefore the only option they support. Hope that makes sense!

Oh, and the Antimode does come with a very nice male / female RCA cable so that is one cable you won't need to buy.
Well I have 2 BK Geminii 2 subs, so would I be better of going for the SII and set the correct phase on each sub? Would I then have a single rca cable from amp into the antimode, and then a y splitter out from the antimode to the 2 subs, and calibrate both together?

DrHarvey12

Not necessarily better - unless you value the added filters the SII version has over the cinema version or think you might want to EQ 4 subs I'm not sure it is worth it.

With the Cinema model you would have RCA to Antimode & then Y splitter from Antimode to each BK Gemini subwoofer.

With the SII you would have RCA to Antimode & then 2 x RCA; one to each subwoofer.

The Antimode sees any connected subwoofers as a single subwoofer. For instance were you to send the output as left and right subwoofer channels (something my Yamaha RX-A2040 can do as it allows stereo subwoofers) then the Antimode will sum the signal and output both signals combined to both subwoofers. Unless you buy an Antimode for each subwoofer (which some people do) then they will be EQ'd together. This is as intended by the manufacturers of the device.

Hope that makes sense. I'm no expert but these were all the type of questions I was asking the sales guys prior to buying and this is my understanding of what they told me.

newcomers

Did you notice a big difference when using the antimode? Need to justify spending £450 on more equipment to the wife!! Just bought a new denon avrx2200, new speakers and a 65 inch TV, not sure how much more I can get away with!

DrHarvey12

In my room the effect that the Antimode had on my dual Dali E12-F's was much bigger than the difference made going from one to two subwoofers.

You can use the bypass mode on the Antimode to flick between the subwoofer EQ modes and having the EQ turned off completely. Whilst the difference was VERY noticeable with my Dali subwoofers it actually seems to have slightly less of an impact on my dual BK Monolith Plus'. Seems to be more noticeable for music than films.

It's difficult to know without modeling your room / bass in something like REW to see if you have difficult room modes causing issues. If the bass sounds good to you already then I wouldn't necessarily spend the extra on the Antimode unless you are able to try it and then return it.

Like I say, I was never too impressed with my Dali E12-F's and the Antimode made a HUGE difference in how they sounded. However, with my Monolith Plus' given how good they sound out-the-box so to speak, I doubt I would have bothered with one.

Antimodes are quite often on sale at around 20% off brand newso I would definitely wait till you see one. Alternatively maybe wait a bit and keep an eye out on the classifieds as they do come up for sale every so often. That way you could buy it, try it and sell it on if it doesn't do a lot for your setup.

Getting perfect bass in your room - £235.40
Keeping the wife happy so you can enjoy it - Priceless :D.

newcomers

Whilst Im undecided at the moment, I have the morning off tomorrow and I have got a funny feeling I will end up driving down to Southend again and returning with an antimode!!

Im guessing if it didnt make that much of a difference they'd take it back, if not I can just sell it a little cheaper on here.

Thanks for your help bud :thumbsup:

DrHarvey12

Good luck :smashin:.

If you do go for one let us know how you get on.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom