1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wot no Laserdisc forum?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nathan_silly, Jul 25, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    It makes me wonder if in 20 years time they will be laughing at our current crop of DVD players. Probably DVDs will be the size of 10 pence pieces and the player the size of a fag packet

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...how the World went crazy over a half finished, rushed to market product that made the smallest advancement in quality over it's predecessors ever to be termed 'huge'.

Step forward DVD.

I can just imagine it in pubs up and down the land, 20 years from now, on a Friday night (with tears of laughter streaming down their faces):

"Yeah, I know! And do you remember they actually paused the film to change layer?!? Ahhhh, ha, ha, ha, haaaaaaa"

4. domfjbrown

domfjbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - but I can assure you - a layer change is a lot quicker than getting off my arse, pressing eject, and flipping a heavy 12 inch optical disk, as my bottom feeding Pioneer 310 doesn't even have NTSC let alone autoreverse...

Funny isn't it - how DVD pauses between layers, just like 8track cartridge did between "programmes" - history repeating itself... (oh - and I have an 8track as well - I love retrotechnology...)

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed LD players have different video outputs- Composite, S-Video & SCART.

I heard that Laserdisc is stored as Composite, so in fact S-Video is worse- is this correct?

Overall how does a good Laserdisc picture quality compare to a DVD?

6. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Having an S-Video output on a LD player gives you the option of using the comb-filter in your player (S-Video connection) or in the display (composite connection). When using my old CLD-D925 with my Sony 10HT, it was noticeably better using the S-Video connection.

An average DVD film definately gives a substantially better picture than an average LD. These things vary a lot, but I always tend to think of average LD quality being about halfway between VHS & DVD.

One of the main ways that DVD picture quality wins over that of LD is in use of anamorphic widescreen. If you compare a non-anamorphic DVD to LD, they are still generally a bit better, but not much.

7. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I agree with that, I think that the 925 had a pretty good comb filter, better than in any of my TVs. I'd would say that an average non-anamorphic DVD is about as good as a Laserdisc of the highest quality. In fact some DVD transfers are from the same source as the Laserdisc.
    The sound on DTS Laserdiscs is superior to most DTS DVDs, having the full 1.5mbs bitrate. Apart from a few of the early ones, most DTS DVDs use half that. Interestingly, the Dolby Surround track on Laserdiscs is far superior to the equivalant on a DVD, since on 99% of DVDs it's downmixed within the player.
    They actually released a couple of Laserdiscs in anamorphic format, one was The Fugitive, but of course there was very little equipment to play them on.:)