1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wot, no CD multi-changers?!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by TheBoingoBandit, Oct 25, 2005.

1. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I want to purchase a large capacity (300/400/500) CD-autochanger for my new AV/hi-fi system.

Sadly the only two I can find are a Pioneer for £400 (possibly a discontinued model) or a Sony £170.

I know that PC or HDD jukeboxes are more the fashion these days, but I don't want to listen to compressed* music and a CD autochanger is much cheaper than something with a few hundred gigs.

Does anyone know of any other brands that make multi-changers or have any other advice or comments?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

* = I'm quite aware that CDs are already compressed, thank you! :D

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I know your mind is made up, but I would like to say the music on my music pc isn't compressed, does not take up as much room as a multichanger, and did not cost as much as the Pioneer to build. It really is worthy of consideration if you cannot find what you want.

Regarding cd multichangers, the Sony and Pioneer are pretty much it. I am not aware of any other manufacturer that does these for our market. To be honest, I didn't even know about the Pioneer!

3. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

You're right that PC music doesn't have to be compressed, but my music collection consists of at least 300 discs and usually PCs with hundreds of GBs are hundreds of £s!

If I could get a PC to use as a CD jukebox and DVD recorder/player, I possibly would. Sadly, I'm far too useless/thick to build my own PC.

Fancy building one for me?!*

*= I'm semi-serious there!

4. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'm selling a yamaha multi 5 cd player in the classifieds for 40 if ya interested... ;)

5. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Must admit I haven't built one as a video recorder so couldn't vouch for that as a workable option though I know it can be done without too much trouble. There is a very healthy community here who are doing just that. Also you might want to price up a 250 gig hdd (on which your collection should fit uncompressed but certainly will using a format like FLAC, a lossless compression codec). They are very cheap now. You are welcome to pm me if you want further advice.