Worth waiting for the 807?

nagrub

Novice Member
Currently got a 55inch Phillips which has been great for the last few years but now looking to upgrade to a 65inch OLED.

I love the idea of a 4 sided ambilight, and the 806 looks pretty good. Can probably pick one up for around £1500. However, it looks like the 807 is right around the corner. When that launches, it’s probably going to be what, 500, 700 more at around £2,200?

I play a lot of games and the new ‘game bar’ on the upcoming 807 looks cool. But is this just going to be snake oil? Reports say that the new 807 may be 30% brighter?

Anyways, as someone coming from an aging 55PUS6703 who’s never had an OLED before, is it worth waiting for the new one, or better to go for the 806 that’s available now? Is it going to be (maybe) £700 ‘better’?

Darbo

Currently got a 55inch Phillips which has been great for the last few years but now looking to upgrade to a 65inch OLED.

I love the idea of a 4 sided ambilight, and the 806 looks pretty good. Can probably pick one up for around £1500. However, it looks like the 807 is right around the corner. When that launches, it’s probably going to be what, 500, 700 more at around £2,200?

I play a lot of games and the new ‘game bar’ on the upcoming 807 looks cool. But is this just going to be snake oil? Reports say that the new 807 may be 30% brighter?

Anyways, as someone coming from an aging 55PUS6703 who’s never had an OLED before, is it worth waiting for the new one, or better to go for the 806 that’s available now? Is it going to be (maybe) £700 ‘better’?
I'm impressed you had that tv for as long as you did, i lasted a year before i sold it and bought an oled, hated it so much.
The jump from that telly to any oled will be huge, i bought the 55" 754, it's the cheapest oled Philips do and it's gorgeous, I've been very happy with it for the last 2 years so it really comes down to how happy you are to part with the extra money for the 807, if it's not going to be particularly painful then obviously go for it, but i honestly think you'll be happy regardless of which oled you choose, the differences between oled models are real, but incremental in my opinion, they're all really good.

nagrub

Novice Member
Cheers for the thoughts.

Well, been itching to make the jump to an OLED for a while, but it’s only now that I’m able to do it. Even a grand for a tv is a fair old wedge. I think the 6703 was about 400 when I got it? Something like that. Was certainly much more affordable at the time!

I’ve not much experience of OLEDs really outside of showrooms which obvs isn’t the best place to see what they’ll actually be like in a real setting. People write about the brightness of OLEDs being lower, but should I expect an OLED to be noticeably less bright than the 6703 I’ve got now? I don’t know how much difference the alleged ‘30% brighter’ on the 807 is going to make to my eyes in practise.

Darbo

Cheers for the thoughts.

Well, been itching to make the jump to an OLED for a while, but it’s only now that I’m able to do it. Even a grand for a tv is a fair old wedge. I think the 6703 was about 400 when I got it? Something like that. Was certainly much more affordable at the time!

I’ve not much experience of OLEDs really outside of showrooms which obvs isn’t the best place to see what they’ll actually be like in a real setting. People write about the brightness of OLEDs being lower, but should I expect an OLED to be noticeably less bright than the 6703 I’ve got now? I don’t know how much difference the alleged ‘30% brighter’ on the 807 is going to make to my eyes in practise.
My oled is plenty bright, I've never understood why people complain about lcd's being brighter over oleds, who the hell has these tvs going full tilt?
I've just checked to see what my brightness is set at, it's at 65, and hdr is at 80, it's all dependant on the individuals room obviously but i will say my brightness settings were comparable to my old tv, which is what you have now.

nagrub

Novice Member
My oled is plenty bright, I've never understood why people complain about lcd's being brighter over oleds, who the hell has these tvs going full tilt?
I've just checked to see what my brightness is set at, it's at 65, and hdr is at 80, it's all dependant on the individuals room obviously but i will say my brightness settings were comparable to my old tv, which is what you have now.
Great to know. Thanks.

billykira

Standard Member

with LCD TVs because black is not black in dark scenes but a dark grey due to bleeding effects of backlights the brightness matters, while on OLED black is black so it doesn't make much of a difference how bright the TV can get considering the difference between black & white is infinite. the only issue is? the impact Sunlight or brightly lit rooms has on OLED TVs, so what you need to consider is? do you prefer watching in a bright/dark room. if you prefer watching in a brightly lit room maybe 807 with its 30% increase in peak brightness can help, I don't know! what I can tell you is on my Philips 936 which has a EVO panel that is brighter by 20% then conventional panels, I have no issues watching in daytime. This is also my first OLEDTV so I don't know how the conventional OLED panels are in bright rooms compared to EVO panel. All I can say is after experiencing OLED I don't think I could even go back to LCD.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Ambilight is a gimmick. You only want a 6500k bias light

So you can buy any flatpabrl and get led kit

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Bias lights that changes colour whilst watching movies is a gimmick, you want a fixed white/off white halo around then TV.

nagrub

Novice Member
Yeah, I dig the ambilight. I know it’s a marmite issue. But for me, I like it.

I’ve also tapped into the hue ecosystem so it working with that is another toy to fiddle with.

I’m absolutely not a videophile in the way that many here will be - I just want to get the best out of what I’ve got.

Greyman43

Bias lights that changes colour whilst watching movies is a gimmick, you want a fixed white/off white halo around then TV.

That’s the videophile purist’s view but Ambilight, especially if you have hue bulbs connected is a very different and immersive experience that some would prefer to absolute accuracy.

Also the 6500k bias light thing is mostly applicable to watching movies in a very dark room. Other applications such as gaming benefit even more from an Ambilight/hue setup IME, that’s predominantly how I use mine.

simon194

Ambilight is a gimmick. You only want a 6500k bias light

So you can buy any flatpabrl and get led kit
Since ambilight can be set up as a bias light anyway it's a much neater solution than buying extra led kits.

nagrub

Novice Member
I’ve plumped for the 806. I’ve got it for 1500 from curries with trading in an old knackered tv. I reckon the 807 will launch at 2200 or 2300 maybe. I just don’t reckon that to my eyes the new shiny will be 7 or 8 hundred quid better than the 806. That’s a lot of dollar.

We’ll see.

I get a 100 day money back guarantee on it if I ‘don’t like ambilight’ from Phillips. So if the 807 comes out within 100 days and it looks to be worth it, I can assess then.

Exciting stuff. Looking forward to OLED!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom