1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth Waiting for new pioneer?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by p203557, Aug 27, 2005.

1. p203557

p203557

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi there,

I'm very new to all this game so please be gentle!!!! :lease:

I considering getting a pioneer plasma screen, I've seen the pdp435XDE and have been impressed with the look of it and the picture. However,

The new PDP436xde is being advertised (on www.avland.co.uk amongst others) for £2500. Many places are still quoting higher than this for the older pdp435xde. I'm not in a rush as will be moving in the next couple of months and only want it for the new house. My understanding is that the new screen has better 'black' and an extra hdmi port on it.

Basically what I'm asking is do you think I would be able to pick up a pdp435xde for significantly cheaper once the 436 is released? Also would any saving be worthwhile as the 435 is only going to become more dated in this fast moving technology area?

Although I'm almost totally decided on a pioneer due to strong reviews and liking the look of the panel is there anything else (preferably a bit cheaper) that I should consider?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Richard

2. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    435's are getting scarcer, anywhere that is selling them at a reasonable price is sold out. The chief reasons (for me at least) for deciding to go for the 435 was:

• It's in stock now and I'm renovating our lounge, I can't wait for an item that may or may not come in stock when the plastering is finished, and besides, I had to make a decision as the cables had to be buried.
    • We were planning on going on holiday to New York in the new year, the 435 came with 2 free return flights to NYC or Boston.
    • The 435 from av-sales came with free pedestal stand and 'swing' speakers
    Those freebies effectively (for me) bring the price down to £1311 judging by how much the pedestal stand and speakers are worth on Ebay and the fact that 2 return flights to NYC will come in at roughly £800. It's simple maths.
    Now, seeing as the Pioneer flight offer finishes on 31st August (unless they extend the offer) and you seem to be in a position to wait, why not go for the 436? It's what I'd do, anyway.
    Dave.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    The Pioneer gets very good reviews in the UK press, however alot guys, myself included think there is a lot better. I actually bought one as it does everything I want, great design, media box so only 1 cable to screen and HD-READY. However the black level is very poor and freeview/sky looks really processed with all but the very best signal.
    From the first reports the 436 has improved on just about everything, if we were still 6 months away and the 435 was a really good screen things would be different, but we are probably a month or two away and you don't need one till then anyway.
    Remember, the 435 had an RRP of £4k and you could get them with 25% off pretty quickly, the 436 has an RRP of £2499 which I guess will have a street price of around £2k including speakers and stand pretty quick too. Never buy a plasma until you need it, they are dropping on average by about 1/3 every year!

Wait for the 436, I bet there will be loads of 435xde's come on the used market for around £1500 or less when the 436 arrives, if you really want one then buy one of them.

4. stormorbit

stormorbit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Pioneer 435 XDE 3 Months ago now and I will never look back, it is simply the most stunning Plazma you can get! The picture quality is as good as it gets, it's absolutely stunning not to forget the Media Box which has some great features including PC connection, Home Gallery amounst others.
    The free flights offer came out a few days after I bought mine so I fwas unluckly in that respect but hey, you can't go wrong with the Pioneer XDE, the only main difference with the new model coming out is the number of HDMI connections it has on the media Box, the upgraded one has two where as the present one (Pioneer 435 XDE) has one HDMI connection. Does it matter?

5. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite a sweeping statement!

Are you sure the only difference between the 435 and 436 is one extra hdmi input?

6. stormorbit

stormorbit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, I ve had a few joints man!

7. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well send a couple this way :)

8. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    but are you sure it's not. what Pioneer are claiming and what they actually produce may be totally different

9. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I'm asking a question not making a statement.

But i agree with you on the Pioneer claims :D

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    To be fair, those that have seen it say it is alot better and address' alot of the issues from the 5th gen screens.

11. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer are calling this one "pure vision black", is this a wild claim, are they recognising the fact that the 435 cant handle black?

I dont know,only what i see and read :cool:

12. p203557

p203557

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Cheers for the replies,

I think I'm going to wait for the 436xde. From other threads it looks like it will cost around what I thought I'd be spending on the 435 and I'll have a better screen for my money. Next question is does anyone think there will be availability problems in the run up to Christmas?

Richard

13. Ziggy

Ziggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well 'i've just ordered one and he had five in stock. Although i've ordered one without speakers or a stand. Costing me just under £2500 delivered. Hope it's as good as people are saying ?

14. mister meaner

mister meaner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    main difference is the contrast ratio, mutch higher on the 436 as they have redesigned the plasma screen to include much deeper plasma recesses. They also changed the screen surround to make it thinner so it looks slightly different. So it says in their brochures anyhow.

If I had the money, it would have to be the 436. Second place would be the PV500. Third the 436.

15. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    436 in first and Third place. ;)

16. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    there is no doubt the the 42pv500 is ahead of the 435XDE, however I think the 436 is a close runner to the 42PV500. Alot of people are still saying that the Pv500 has the better blacks, but of course they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i've been reading these forums for a while and it seems that the Panasonic PV500 is the best of the bunch in that price bracket. I looked at a Hitachi 7200, well the Mrs did, cos she liked the electric base lol, although the Hitachi has got great reviews. There seems to be a bit of a shortage for the PV500's so i decided to take a chance on the Pioneer. As i said before, i've just ordered the panel, as i have a cinema sound system and sky plus and a Pioneer 575 DVD player. I figure all i need is a mounting bracket and an AV rack of some sort ?

18. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone seen the Pioneer 436 with football ? if so what is the pq like, any noticeable judder/motion blur ?

That's the one issue that really put me off from the Pioneer 435 - looked nice with films on DVd, but with sports - it was abysmal! is the 436 a genuine improvement in this regard?

19. Hobbyfilmer

Hobbyfilmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What PC card and what memory cards are you using with the Home Gallery ?

20. longy

longy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    i went into currys to have alook at the pioneer.not good news im afrid the motion looked very robotic :mad:

21. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    thought as much, so glad i got my pv500, now too watch Scotland game tomorrow with no judder!

22. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am sure you will see plemty of "judder" no matter what TV you watch scotland on :D

Dave

23. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    youre probably right!

24. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Not surprised, not really the place to see one properly setup with inputs that the screen deserves...If you are gonna use it only for analogue or RF inputs, then fair enough forget it, but if you are considering RGB inputs a whole different story....

25. Dillz

Dillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I was in Sevenoaks in Cheltenham recently and they had euro1080 satellite hooked up to it showing a clip of a football match. All I can say is WOW! Amazing picture just very occasional judder though when panning (hardly noticable) if this is what SKY are going to be transmitting in the future then I can't wait.