Worth upgrading VM from 20mb to 50mb?

bishbashboshdj

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Im with virgin media with their 20 meg package, and currently i get about 19 mb/s download and 2 mb/s upload when i do speedtests....

Now im interested in upgrading to 50 meg...... but i dont download much, and mainly use it for xbox, streaming, and as the connection for my computers VNC server from my iphone....

I've been wondering whethers it worth doing now for the extra £5 a month, or whether im likely to get a free upgrade in march when my contract is up and I ask to go through to retentions?

thoughts please?

Hi all

Im with virgin media with their 20 meg package, and currently i get about 19 mb/s download and 2 mb/s upload when i do speedtests....

Now im interested in upgrading to 50 meg...... but i dont download much, and mainly use it for xbox, streaming, and as the connection for my computers VNC server from my iphone....

I've been wondering whethers it worth doing now for the extra £5 a month, or whether im likely to get a free upgrade in march when my contract is up and I ask to go through to retentions?

thoughts please?
dont think you will get free upgrade, if its only £5 extra i think is well worth it, since upgrading noticed a good difference, even when downloading, streaming videos/internet on other pc's and ps3 online without any problems, big difference to what i was on before and running afew stuff caused problems, though not happy about new throttling restrictions just after upgrading.. still big difference 20mb to 50mb.

If you are going to upgrade, hold off for a week or two ;)

If you are going to upgrade, hold off for a week or two ;)
May I ask why? I've just placed an order to upgrade my 10 to 50!?

May I ask why? I've just placed an order to upgrade my 10 to 50!?

When are you due a tech? Reason being is that the new all in one hub for 50mb is due for launch within the next few days.

When are you due a tech? Reason being is that the new all in one hub for 50mb is due for launch within the next few days.
Ahh okay, thanks for the info. I use my own router and WAP's, so ideally I'd prefer a separate modem. Will the current modem handle the 100 service should I choose to upgrade in the future?

Ahh okay, thanks for the info. I use my own router and WAP's, so ideally I'd prefer a separate modem. Will the current modem handle the 100 service should I choose to upgrade in the future?

Current modem will run 100mb, but the bottleneck is caused by the DLINK router having no gigabit LAN ports. However if you have your own wireless router that does have these then you should be future proofed.

The Super Hub will somewhere down the line have the function for the router to be disabled so people can use their own third party router solutions - however no news from VM on when this is likely to be as yet.

Hi. I'm considering upgrading from 20 to 50Mb. We currently have the supplied wireless G which works ok, especially as I have placed it centrally in the house attached by a 15m ethernet cable to the dsl router.

I'm wondering if it's better just going for the faster wireless N router (ie no rewiring needed) which is available for free with an upgrade, or hanging out for the new super hub (will that be free too?). The latter however will need the cable extending from the VM box on the wall, so the hub is positioned centrally in the house. Does an engineer visit for the upgrade and would they do this?

Hi. I'm considering upgrading from 20 to 50Mb. We currently have the supplied wireless G which works ok, especially as I have placed it centrally in the house attached by a 15m ethernet cable to the dsl router.

I'm wondering if it's better just going for the faster wireless N router (ie no rewiring needed) which is available for free with an upgrade, or hanging out for the new super hub (will that be free too?). The latter however will need the cable extending from the VM box on the wall, so the hub is positioned centrally in the house. Does an engineer visit for the upgrade and would they do this?

Seeing as you would have a need for new equipment and your power levels for 50mb would need to be checked it would likely be a manned install, so a tech would likely visit. The Superhub would be part of your package upgrade, and eventually will be the only piece of kit installed for 50mb.

and your power levels for 50mb would need to be checked

I've seen many people comment that they had a rock solid 20Mb and have had no end of problems with 50Mb.

Are we in the dreaded signal/noise ratio territory? I've been there with BT and never want to go there again. :facepalm:

If it is only a fiver different, I would just upgrade to 50mb even you can not download much during the 9am-9pm of the day based on the Acceptable Usage and Traffic management policies.

You say you use it to play Xbox so I would recomend it. My ping decreased to 7ms when I upgraded from 10mb to 50mb and I now get host in every game.

You say you use it to play Xbox so I would recomend it. My ping decreased to 7ms when I upgraded from 10mb to 50mb and I now get host in every game.

That's probably because you moved from the Docsis 1 network to the Docsis 3 network so there will be less contention and (probably) better equipment. Once more people get migrated to the 50Mb Docsis 3 platform, you may start seeing slightly slower performance figures.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom