1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth Upgrading turntable?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Unlight, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi guys,

Ive currently got the following :

Cambridge Audio Azur 640 cd player
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 amp
    KEF Q4 Floorstanders
    Project Debut Phono SB

Now, with the new Azur amp I can get a phono stage added to the amp, meaning I will be able to go for one that doesnt have a phono stage included.

Is there much difference in the quality of the Phono SB and Project Xpression that everyone raves about?

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion:
    If you are going to add an pre amp to your system then use an outboard model such as Nad's PP2 @ £50 or Project's phono box SE @ £125
    The Project Xpression is a massive improvement over the Debut as it adds a balanced and heavier platter, Higher grade stylus supplied, Carbon fibre arm...
    The next step is the £350 RPM4 (if you can put up with the unique apperance)or £275 Project2 the sound quality is a massive improvement and adds a record clamp and the ability to use your own choice of interconnect!

3. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure you listen to the Rega P2 and P3 before you decide. Still great value, and better still if you go for a used Planar 3.

4. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hello,

I'd certainly pitch in another vote for the RPM 4, but I'd also keep my eyes peeled for a used Michell Syncro or Mycro, both are fabulous decks for the money and with an RB 250 or RB300 arm and a good cartridge can give some more costly competition a real run for it's money. The key to getting good results out of these decks is in the setup. It's no black art like dialling in an LP-12, but it does take about 30 minutes to get the springs set up just right, and the actual support under the deck also influences the sound considerably, but given just how good the sound can be, I think it's worthy of some consideration.

If you have any further questions then please let me know.

Best wishes,

Dave

5. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Cool... Interested in the RPM4.. just need one to come up now!