1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth upgrading to HDMI capable player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by butlerpeter, Sep 21, 2005.

1. butlerpeter

butlerpeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi guys,

I wonder if someone can help.

I'm currently waiting for a shiny new Samsung LE32R41B LCD tv to be delivered, and I'm not really sure what to do regarding my dvd player.

My current setup is a 3 or 4 yr old Pioneer DV-454 dvd player connected via RGB scart to a cheapo Proline 28ins widescreen tv, and by optical to my Kenwood DTS receiver.

As I haven't got the new tv yet I'm not sure how my current dvd player will look when connected to it. I'm guessing that as the dvd player doesn't support progressive scan it won't look as good as it could do?

With that in mind I've been doing a bit of research regarding inexpensive progressive scan players. Multiregion ability is essential.

Preferably I'd like to hook up the dvd player to the new tv via HDMI as I want to use the component connection for my xbox (and later an xbox 360).

Currently I'm hovering between a Samsung DVD-HD950 (or 850) and the Toshiba SD-350E.

Reading thses forums it seems the Samsung is good but you have to mess about setting it to PAL or NTSC whenever you play different region dvd's. I know this will drive me mad!!

This leaves me with the Tosh, which I read is also pretty good for the money but the HDMI output is a bit lacking.

My question is, how is the 'lacking' HDMI output likely to compare to hooking up my existing player via RGB scart to the new tv? Is the HDMI picture likely to be better than the RGB Scart pic (even thought the HDMI output might not be as good as some other players).

Is it worth changing the dvd player? Anyone have a similar setup and can comment?

Are there any other readily available, and inexpensive players that I should consider?

Sorry for the rather long post - I like to give as much info as possible in these things! ;)

Many thanks

Peter

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Hello and welcome.

There have been a few similar questions lately eg

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245414

I think the basic advice is try your existing player first, and don't assume that HDMI will necessarily provide a leap in performance.

If you do feel obliged to get a new player, I'd steer clear of the Samsung. Also, don't discount component prog scan players such as the Pioneer 575...PJ :)

3. butlerpeter

butlerpeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for the link - I'd missed that post when searching for info. Will have a read.

My reason for not counting the Pioneer 575 was purely because the new tv only has 1 set of component inputs and I want to use those for my xbox.

Unless there exists such a thing as a component to hdmi adapter or something to allow me to cnnect 2 component devices to one set of inputs?

Peter

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yes that's a common comment. Connectivity can be an issue with these things. Some people have AV amps that can switch component. Very esoteric ones can switch HDMI/DVI, in the future this will likely become more common especially when HiDef arrives.

I have a 4 year old Pioneer 525 and the pic via SCART looks great, I think older Pioneers can still do a good job even by today's standards.

Having said that, it didn't stop me buying a Pioneer 575, Samsung 745, and an Oppo!! ...PJ :)

5. butlerpeter

butlerpeter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    A bit more looking around has gotten me interested in the Oppo.

It's a bit pricier than I was looking at though, is it worth paying the extra few quid?

If only Pioneer did something in this price range with hdmi!!

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    To be honest, I don't think it's worth the extra over the Pioneer 575 - the Pioneer is that good. However, it is cutting edge technology at a relatively affordable price, and the pics are excellent and just shade the Pioneer for sheer detail.

Any yes, if only Pioneer *did* do something HDMI/DVI at the sub £250 level, it would likely be a winner!...PJ :)