1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth upgrading to 2011?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Justinrog, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Justinrog

Justinrog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Yamaha 630 AV Amp and I am quite happy with it, although today I spotted a Pioneer 2011 Amp for £399 new in a shop, the Amp I originally wanted to get (back when it was £749).

So now I am wondering whether it is worth selling the Yamaha (How much might I get for this these days...?) and going for this. Does anybody have any input or has someone made a similar jump...?

I think this is a good price and I am very tempted (The new AX3 and AX5 are around £600-£1000 so a bit more expensive). The speakers I have are KEF EGGS.Mark 1. Also 656-A DVD player, Philips DVDR-75 and Sky+ that would be connected to it.

Any ideas much appreciated, Thanks,

J

2. dbanugo

dbanugo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    wow £399 man that is cheap. excellent amp i would get it if i was you if not please give me the shop number so i can buy it

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Get the 2011 before someone else does. I also want one especially at that price. Do thay have more ?? Please pass on the info :D

4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I bought one last year for £800. It's a superb biy of kit and at that price it's a steal!

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    I paid £399 for mine too, which is good especially as the going 2nd hand rate for these is £480:D

6. Justinrog

Justinrog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, will let you know how it goes tomorrow morning. I will be off to make my purchase and will ask if they have any more in stock, as I did not ask before...

Thanks for the replies...

J

7. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The last 1 I saw go on ebay made £560 iirc

8. Justinrog

Justinrog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well...I knew it was too good to be true...The ONLY 2011 in my city, that has ever been here...has just been bought a couple of minutes before me from someone who ordered it from coventry!...

There are none left...I hope they enjoy it!...as I feel like I am gonna vomit and I feel gutted. A full day day of waiting for it yesterday did not help either. Sorry for the original post. Sorry to get others expectations up...there was only 1 in stock...don't think I feel like posting again....

Thanks to those who meant well and thanks for the suggestions...

J

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Dont worry about it m8. The bargain that it was it wasnt gonna hang arround

10. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Wouldn't that amp have been overkill for Kef eggs anyway?

11. Justinrog

Justinrog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm...maybe, I dont really know...that is why I was asking...if it was overkill, then at least I can feel a bit better...:)

What would you recommend for the Eggs? I liked the idea of the microphone set up though, due to my strangely shaped room.

What would be the best amplifier for those speakers, anyone any ideas...?...I like listening to DVD-Audio and SA-CD as well.

Thanks,

J

12. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Have you thought about upgrading the eggs to larger speakers? That'd improve sound more than an amp upgrade imo. It'd also be better for sacd and dvd-a as larger cabinate speakers will give you a better frequency range than the eggs.

just a though:)

13. Justinrog

Justinrog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I initially bought some Jamo floor-standing speakers but found them very poor and the KEF speakers were on special offer when I purchased them. So you think keeping the Yamaha 630 and going for some bigger speakers is the way to go then? Something like the Acoutic Energy Evo 3b set...?...Or something different...?

Hmm...I am now really lost, as if I got the amp today, I would have upgraded the speakers too probably. It was just such a good deal on the amp...I've been crying all day...mostly from the self-inflicted kicking for not buying it straight away yesterday!!

J

14. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I would always upgrade from at source end and upgrade the speaker last, unless they were really c**p or your are happy with everthing apart from the speakers.

If you have weaknesses in your system then good speaker will just emphasis the problems.

Pity you missed the 2011 as I had one before my Tag/Chord , great piece of kit. Although they were struggling to drive 4 Ohm speaker (near reference levels).

15. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    Well I'm going back to using my 2011 instead of the Meridian 565 (see other thread); as I'm using actives the amplifiers are no problem:D

Justin, look for the 2011's in the 2nd hand arena....you'll be able to find one for £450...

16. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    I had the yammy ax620 many moons ago and it was fairly adequate at driving my Mission M71 speaker package. I do not know how the ax620 compares to the 630 though but would think that they would be fairly similar.
    With regard to what to upgrade first I'd be tempted to get another speaker package or at least go and see what the difference is between a sub sat system and a regular sized set. If I was looking to upgrade my amp too then I'd buy the best speakers I could afford bearing in mind that I'd be getting a better amp at a later date.
    I'm afraid there is no easy answer as whenever you upgrade something always becomes the weakest link but you have to find your best compromise.
    I'd definately go listen to some speakers packages as this will give you a better sound especially when listening to multichannel sacd and dvd-a. And look to replace the yammy when funds permit.

17. Justinrog

Justinrog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I might just have to do that as the best I can find for a 2011 is now £599, which isn't quite the bargain I could have bought, looked in the Ads section but could not find one there either...will check out some speakers packages...

J

18. gjc-ortho

gjc-ortho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hello mate,
    Where did you manage to find one in stock? Just out of interest of course;)

19. Justinrog

Justinrog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was for Ex-Display stock so I do not think that it was such a good offer, I am waiting for another "bargain" or I am gonna leave it all-together for now and consider a speaker upgrade first, although, as I still live with my parents (just finished uni, doing a post-grad in my home town now...I miss Leeds though!), that is not going to happen for a while for lack of space. So I believe I am stuck with what I have for a bit...

For the KEF speakers I have, I do not think I need a 2011, maybe just a 912 at some point or something in-between. Unless a 2011 sounds good with KEF Eggs...?...I don't know any more...

Also, found an AX3 for £500 new...so wondering whether or not that might be better. I have read on a site, that although it lacks certain features from the 2011, it actually sounds better, as does the AX5 with the added features.

Also, would getting that new bargain Aegis 1,2 and centre package for £135 be better than my KEF Eggs...?...

Just something else to think about!

Thanks again,

J