Question Worth Upgrading Speakers?

TAZOO7

Ex Member
Reaction score
Is it worth upgrading from Dali Zenors 3's to some Kef Q500's as i can get some for £400 new and thinking this might be to good to pass up, and would i be right in thinking that being closed case speakers then position would not be as big of a problem as the Zenors, which i have to place on a shelf close to the wall, my living room is only 12 x 12, i dont play loud and i listen to fair share of Music and Film's

Current setup is as follows

Yamaha DPS AX763
Arcam P85 power amp
Arcam 7se CD player
CA dac magic
Cheap and old Blu Ray player soon to be upgraded to a marantz 5007 or better

Do you have a 5.1 speaker set or just the stereo pair of Dali?

just the one pair, i use a rca switch and the pre outs on the AV amp to have the best of both, did plan on getting some zenor 1's for the surround left and right and the dali centre, using the BR centre at the moment, tbh from my own research so far im lead to believe that the Zenors 3's are good enough, and i have played around with them and put them on chairs away from the wall and not really heard any change in SQ, as i also thought about getting some speaker stands, my main objective was to get better stereo sound, i believe i have achieved that, i find 5.1 is not as fussy or as hard to get right as good quality stereo, done things a little backwards tbh, but i was not to know, learning fast tho lol, if a little late :)

Speakers are never going to sound their best on a shelf so I would be inclined to stick with what you have.

Speakers are never going to sound their best on a shelf so I would be inclined to stick with what you have.

what speakers on a shelf?

Q500's are floorstanders so yes they will be better (depending on positioning)

i had these speakers for a year or so and are great for the money, at £400 they are about there money second hand.

I have the Dali Zenors 3's currently on a shelf, as in the manual it says the following

ZENSOR 5 and 7 are designed as floor standing speakers. They should be positioned minimum
10 – 20 cm (4 – 8”) from the rear wall. ZENSOR 1, ZENSOR 3 and VOKAL are designed to be
positioned flat up against the wall.

3.2 DALI ZENSOR 3
The speaker can be positioned on a stand/shelf. If positioned on a stand or shelf, the enclosed
rubber bumpers can be mounted under the speaker for stable and vibration free positioning,
see Figure 3A.

I have tried these on stool and tbh i could not tell if they where any better or worse so i guess il stick with what i have, though had the Kef Q500 been on sale for £400 when i got the dali's then I would have got them for sure :) i also have them sideways as this way the look better in my home, and it gets the tweeter nearer ear level, I just love the look of the Kefs, and great value at £400

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom