1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth upgrading my Yamaha DSPAX620 ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jezar, Jan 29, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Jezar

Jezar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just realised I have now had the DSPAX620 digital prologic Amp for 3 years this weekend. I bought it from Richer Sounds with 50% buyback guarantee which means that tomorrow is the last day I can return it to the shop and get £150 trade in.

It has always sounded great to me so I have no major compelling reason to spend out more money and go to hassle on unplugging etc, other than now is the time to upgrade if I am going to.

So the question for those of you more expert than me is whether I would likely see an improvement in sound if I trade it for a RXV550RDS £199, RXV650RDS £269, or DSPAX750 £349 [all prices less my £150 trade-in of course].

Notes: I dont use this amp for music and dont need the tuner. I would want to stick with Yamaha because I've had a few and know my way around them.
    There does not seem any point in going to the shop to listen because the environment is different to my Home Cinema room so not easy to compare. [you can probably tell I am one of those who chooses the model with the independent testers best buy sticker on it !]

Your guidance will be much appreciated.

Jezar :rolleyes:

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Go with the DSPAX750, of those selected, otherwise it will be a sideways rather than upward step.

I upgraded from a 620 to a 2500 and must say there is a big difference. Does the buy back work against anything or just amps?

As it may be worth buying something else like Hard drive DVD recorder and upgrading to a 1500/2500 (from germany of course)if you want to see a real difference.

3. Jezar

Jezar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks GazBarber, thats very helpful.

I decided to go with your choice of 1500/2500 to make a significant difference. Only thing is I cant justify at the current price so will wait a year or so till it's cheaper.

Thanks again

Jezar :smashin:

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Get one from Germany will probably cost you about £600 with all the postage and currancy transfer for a 2500 and even cheaper for a 1500. You can get a 1500 from unbeatable.co.uk for £550 to, although they do a 2805 for £525 which is also worth considering, although i wannted to stick with a yammie (brand loyalty, i would never have guessed it :laugh: ).