Worth upgrading my old system?

panyg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have an old system consisting of Arcam Alpha 8 Amp (fronts), Yamaha DSPAX640SE (centre, rear and sub) and Marantz CD player. I bought this system about 13 years ago and have been happy with the sound but it has been gathering dust for a few years.

After moving house, I've decided to put everythng together with a Revo HTPC and LG 620 blu-ray player.

As the Yamaha amp is old, I'm thinking of getting a new HMDI receiver. I've seen a good offer for an Onkyo TXNR609.

Would this system offer much improvement over my old system? Or would I be better off getting a receiver that would allow me to use the Arcam for the fronts?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

What speakers do you have? Personally I would still use the Arcam if at all possible. What is your budget?
The cheapest receiver with front preouts is the Marantz 1402 I believe. Other than that you will be looking at higher level receivers.
Onkyo has a lot different sound to Yamaha which may or may not be to your taste so go and have a listen first before buying.

Thank you for your response.

I forgot to mention my speakers! I have Mordaunt Short MS206 Floor Standing fronts, Mordaunt Short MS 304C centre, Mordaunt Short MS903 rears and BK Electronics XLS200 subwoofer.

I was looking to upgrade as it's easier to use HDMI and it would give me HD audio. But I would stick with my current system if the difference isn't much.

I don't really want to spend more than £300.

Thanks for your help!

You could get the Marantz for under your budget but it is a slim line receiver so IMHO is a bit compromised in terms of sound quality due to this. However, since you have the Arcam for the fronts this would help to improve things.
MS speakers are generally regarded as bright sounding so may not be best paired with Onkyo receivers as they are also bright. I would probably try to stick to Yamaha/Denon/Marantz receivers as they will be more like the sound you are used to and should work well with your speakers.
I also do not believe the 609 has preouts so would mean you could not use the Arcam.

Not sure if this is more than you are willing to spend, but last years Yamaha Adventage RXA810 would give you the pre outs you require and this amp is discounted to below half its original price. This particular example is a refurbished mode:
Yamaha RX-A810 Black AV Receiver. 3D Ready, 1080p Upscaling, USB Connection. | eBay

The RXA810 is probably the cheapest modern amp you'll find with pre outs. Pre outs are now reserved to the mid range and higher end AV receivers.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom