worth upgrading my grandview screen

toddy28

i have got a 100 inch grandview pulldown screen and was very happy with it till i moved and now it just doesent seem as flat as it was so im thinking of going electric can any one recomend a good screen and will i notice any diffrence in the picture qualty
thanks for any advice

Fred Flintstone4

Hi Toddy, I'm sorry to see that your Grandview screen isn't giving you a perfectly flat surface. Sometimes, over a period of time, a pull down screen can develop wrinkles due to the various pulling forces to which it is subjected. A pull down screen is usually the cheapest type of screen and has more than its fair share of problems. Screen material is not designed to be pulled about so a screen that is designed to raise and lower itself, will suffer less. Over the years I have seen many expensive pull downs which have a slight wrinkle and many cheap electric ones which don't. Unless you are a heavy smoker, if you change to an electric screen I don't think that you'll see a difference in picture quality. However you will have a screen that is less likely to suffer and it's always a delight to just press a button. If you want to change your screen to a motorised Grandview or any other motorised screen which we supply then I'll be pleased to receive your PM.

toddy28

thankyou for the reply i have the grandview crystal CP45MW at the moment what screenwould you recomend as a replacement the same size, i would also like to control it with my harmony remote

Fred Flintstone4

I would recommend the motorised version of that size. Either the Crystal model CM45MW or the Cyber which is the same as the Beamax. I would then control it with an infrared remote control. PM me for prices.

Otto

Hi,

If you are going to replace your manual pull down for an electrical screen with the same fabric for the sake of getting a better fabric: Don't.

First, check to see whether you can get a replacement from your reseller. I am not sure how old the screen is, but within 2 years you should be able to get a replacement.

If that doesn't work, don't go for the same fabric in an electrical version. The fabric used in the manual screens can't be stretched, so pulling the fabric doesn't have any effect on planarity. Even though this is often used as an excuse for other mistakes made in production, such as a roller tube (the piece of metal onto which the fabric is rolled up) which is not perfectly straight.

If you want a perfectly flat fabric, go for tab-tensioned or a PVC based screen which can be stretched. In our range that would be the M-series and the M-tensioned, I know Grandview have a tensioned too, as do most other manufacturers.

Perfection is not cheap though, so be prepared to spend a multiple of the price of your manual screen.

There's one thing that puzzles me though is how the fabric can be different in terms of planarity. Are the room conditions different?

Otto
Beamax

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom