Worth upgrading my AE900 to get 1080p?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by neeek, Jan 16, 2008.

1. neeek

neeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Ok, hopefully not too stupid a question...

I've got a 2 year old Panasonic AE900 that I'm very happy with, projecting onto an 80" diagonal screen - I'm sitting 3 metres away. I'm currently sending a 576i DVD signal over component video.

I've just started shopping around for a Blu-ray player, and it seems that the AE900 can display 1080p24 with no judder problems, albeit downconverted internally to 720p. My obvious upgrade would be to an AE2000, but even after selling my current projector it would cost me £1500. I can just about afford this, but will I see that much benefit on a smaller screen?

Cheers.

2. Batdog

Batdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    It's probably a question that only you can answer. I suppose the obvious points are that the smoothscreen technology has been improved since the AE900 so the picture will be sharper, plus you have the benefit of full 1080p. How much you perceive the difference, particularly given your relatively small screen size only you can say. Depends a lot on how good your eyesight is also.

Another plus with the AE2000 is the inorganic LCD panels which are more durable and apparently give much improved black levels, plus the pj is brighter than the AE900.

It's the same debate I have with myself regularly (I own an AX100). In truth I'd expect possibly a 5-10% increase in perceived PQ, but so long as you don't expect miracles, it would be an improvement worth paying for, when the time is right.

Good luck.

3. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    If it were just pixels we were talking about then I would say it was questionable whether an upgrade was worth it. But taking the Panasonic PT-AE2000 as an example, it has improved in other areas too over the AE900. Better contrast, better blacks, sharper, smoother images....
    All extremely important areas of improvement for an image.
    Along with the added pixels of 1080p, I would say an upgrade is definitely worth it!

4. imjay

imjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    My question would be exactly how unhappy are you with the 900U - we are very happy with ours also.

In fact, we are so pleased with standard def DVD up conversion we are in no hurry to step into the Hi Def DVD arena at least for now.

Just wait til the fall and Panasonic will probably release newer models and prices for the wonderful PT-AE2000 will tumble. I recall at recent CES the buzz about 2008 models with 1080p was higher refresh rates.

I can wait a few months and suffer the consequence of paying less and having all the pleasure of anticipation.

5. neeek

neeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks for your replies. As an update to this, I have now got a Blu-ray player and am running it through the AE900 as 1080p24, downscaled internally to 720p. What a difference! The picture quality is fantastic, noticeably much better than upscaling from DVD. I ran Spiderman on both formats and switched between them - even my wife had to grudgingly agree that it was a great improvement.

So I think I can wait for a projector upgrade - let's see what happens to the price of the AE2000 as it goes end of line.

6. Batdog

Batdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Sounds like a plan. I'm always thinking about 1080p but in truth I've only had my AX100 for 16 months and am still wowed by it's performance. In the next year or so I should hopefully be able to relocate in into a dedicated room that should improve the performance no end, then probably give in to my upgrade fetish at the end of next year when the PTAE4000 will be getting rave reviews!!