Worth upgrading LG B8?

Ninjamoo

Novice Member
I bought a B8 a few years ago and I’m happy with it. I’ve been thinking about upgrading to a CX or C1 since it would be a little more future-proof with HDMI 2.1 and some added features like Hgig.

Mixed usage between HDR tv shows, hdr/dv movies, and ps5.

I have a small 43“ LG for the terrace which has WebOS6 and I hate the GUI compared to WebOS4.

There’s currently a sale on TVs and I can get the C1 for about 120€ more than the CX.... I think I prefer the CX due to the OS and the fact that it’s a tad bit brighter.

The real question, though, is should I upgrade at all? Regular price for the C1 is 1,999€ which is reduced to 1,779€ right now and onto of that there’s a 300€ deduction at checkout. That means the C1 costs 1,479€ right now until the end of the month. The CX costing 1,359€ after deductions.

I doubt that even Black Friday sales will bring the price this low again so my options are:

1) do nothing and wait a couple more years

2) get the c1 or cx and gift the B8 to my sister

Would I notice any difference in picture quality or are they just paper numbers and not really noticeable in the real world? Are there any new features that are definitely worth having on the newer models?

If the C2 comes out and unexpectedly blows everything out of the water for whatever reason (48gpbs 12bit dts etc) then I will take the firery wrath of my significant other and sell my 1 year old tv and possibly my soul to get the upgrade. If not then I can probably skip the next 3-4 models.

Would appreciate any first hand experiences, thanks!

next010

Distinguished Member
As to noticing the different in picture quality, probably wont notice too much, subtle improvements and maybe a bit better at HDR.

HGIG is nice but sadly not mandatory it requires support from games that use the built in Playstation HDR calibration tool, if a game has its own HDR controls it ignores HGIG and some games continue to do exactly that.

Input lag is lower, significantly so at 120hz on the CX vs C8, if you play competitive PvP games you do benefit. PS5 doesn't support HDMI-VRR or Dolby Vision so it doesn't get any use from those features.

If you use WebOS GUI a lot, then I might lean towards the CX as the last model with the good UI and hope years down the road LG change it back if anything super better comes onto the market.

Ninjamoo

Novice Member
As to noticing the different in picture quality, probably wont notice too much, subtle improvements and maybe a bit better at HDR.

HGIG is nice but sadly not mandatory it requires support from games that use the built in Playstation HDR calibration tool, if a game has its own HDR controls it ignores HGIG and some games continue to do exactly that.

If you use WebOS GUI a lot, then I might lean towards the CX as the last model with the good UI and hope years down the road LG change it back if anything super better comes onto the market.
Thanks for the info. I’m coming from a B8 instead of a C8, though, hence I’m still not sure of I would notice any difference on picture. I believe the C8 already had the new A9 processor while my B8 still has the A7 processor in it.

Maybe firmware related but I’ve had blacks getting crushed on HDR games quite a bit and it’s always been a hassle to correct it.

I wasn’t aware that hgig gets disabled if the game has its own hdr settings so that kind of sucks. Maybe the game optimizer on the C1 is back in play after all.

Once everything is adjusted I shouldn’t need to spent too much time in the menus but on my 43” tv (obviously with a slow processor) the menu feels laggy to come up while it’s loading all the info.

My B8 is connected to my denon x3600 and I have my cable box, shield, and PS connected to it. I have no issues hitting the source button and then selecting the components I want to access. With the 43” webos6 tv I don’t get the same results though. If I swap from say the shield to the cable box, then the input changes but the screen stays on the denon landing page until I press the ... button and select home. Then the cable box shows a picture again. I can’t say how the CX or C1 are going to behave when compared the the 43” since the hardware on the oled is quite different but it would be ash or turnoff to lose a good cec setup.

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the info. I’m coming from a B8 instead of a C8, though, hence I’m still not sure of I would notice any difference on picture. I believe the C8 already had the new A9 processor while my B8 still has the A7 processor in it.

Maybe firmware related but I’ve had blacks getting crushed on HDR games quite a bit and it’s always been a hassle to correct it.

I wasn’t aware that hgig gets disabled if the game has its own hdr settings so that kind of sucks. Maybe the game optimizer on the C1 is back in play after all.

Once everything is adjusted I shouldn’t need to spent too much time in the menus but on my 43” tv (obviously with a slow processor) the menu feels laggy to come up while it’s loading all the info.

My B8 is connected to my denon x3600 and I have my cable box, shield, and PS connected to it. I have no issues hitting the source button and then selecting the components I want to access. With the 43” webos6 tv I don’t get the same results though. If I swap from say the shield to the cable box, then the input changes but the screen stays on the denon landing page until I press the ... button and select home. Then the cable box shows a picture again. I can’t say how the CX or C1 are going to behave when compared the the 43” since the hardware on the oled is quite different but it would be ash or turnoff to lose a good cec setup.

That was just a typo on my part C8 I meant B8, you do get better smooth degradation controls on the A9G3 chipset in the CX so if your noticing banding a lot in scenes that will help.

CX/C1 are no different on HGIG, you can opt to use LG's own dynamic tone mapping feature which will work on all games but can alter the look of the game beyond what was intended.

Game optimizer on the C1 is basically a UI for all the gaming features & game mode on the TV, most of these features are on the CX too minus the dedicated UI.

Performance on A9G4 in C1 with WebOS 6.0 should be better than A7 which is likely what's in the 43", you can see video overview of WebO6 6.0 here running on the C1, see if it runs any better vs your 43".

Yeah LG's CEC support can be difficult at times, LG WebOS 3/4/5 is hard programmed to look for a CEC home/landing screen and activate it on a device but only if you selected the input its connected to e.g. HDMI2 ARC (sound system).

The input manager on WebOS 3/4/5 can also scan CEC compatible receivers and display devices attached to the receiver and directly select them bypassing CEC home screen selection.

I haven't used the latest version of WebOS 6 so cant say if that behaviour pattern has changed, it could be LG had dropped some devices from its database.

You could try connecting the Denon to the 43" WebOS 6 TV and run the universal remote setup, this will tell LG the type of device attached to it and hopefully unlock better control of the device but if nothing changes then you might see similar behaviour on the C1 with WebOS 6.0.

One other feature is ALLM (auto game mode) which LG brands as instant game response, the CX/C1 and Denon x3600 support this but the PS5 does not, instead Sony have their own custom auto game mode, the CX/C1 support this custom Sony version but I'm unsure if this feature will work with PS5 connected directly to the Denon.

If the 43" supports instant game response and you see that logo popup with PS5 going through the Denon then this feature should work with CX/C1.

Ninjamoo

Novice Member
You, Sir, are an amazing individual and if I could bake you a cake, I would. Thanks so much for helping out and giving some great advice - much appreciated!

grogi

I bought a B8 a few years ago and I’m happy with it. I’ve been thinking about upgrading to a CX or C1 since it would be a little more future-proof with HDMI 2.1 and some added features like Hgig.

Mixed usage between HDR tv shows, hdr/dv movies, and ps5.

I have a small 43“ LG for the terrace which has WebOS6 and I hate the GUI compared to WebOS4.

There’s currently a sale on TVs and I can get the C1 for about 120€ more than the CX.... I think I prefer the CX due to the OS and the fact that it’s a tad bit brighter.

The real question, though, is should I upgrade at all? Regular price for the C1 is 1,999€ which is reduced to 1,779€ right now and onto of that there’s a 300€ deduction at checkout. That means the C1 costs 1,479€ right now until the end of the month. The CX costing 1,359€ after deductions.

I doubt that even Black Friday sales will bring the price this low again so my options are:

1) do nothing and wait a couple more years

2) get the c1 or cx and gift the B8 to my sister

Would I notice any difference in picture quality or are they just paper numbers and not really noticeable in the real world? Are there any new features that are definitely worth having on the newer models?

If the C2 comes out and unexpectedly blows everything out of the water for whatever reason (48gpbs 12bit dts etc) then I will take the firery wrath of my significant other and sell my 1 year old tv and possibly my soul to get the upgrade. If not then I can probably skip the next 3-4 models.

Would appreciate any first hand experiences, thanks!

The only visible difference you'd notice is much better decontouring filter.

IMHO not worth the effort.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom