Worth upgrading from progressive dvd player to 720p player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by m1ket, Sep 25, 2005.

1. m1ket

m1ket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I currently have a dvd player which i bought from a supermarket for £40 to my amazement it has component outputs which can provide a 5XXp outout to my new 26" hdtv the dvds look pretty good like this but i cant help thinking that the output from my dvd player may be be low quality due to the price...

So i am concidering getting a player that can output 720p directly (with built in upscaling in theh dvd player), so my question is ....

Is there a big difference between the progressive outout from a standard dvd player and the scaled up 720p dvd players out there?

Thanks
    Mike

2. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally feel that it's worth getting a 720p player for the DVI output alone.

As for whether 720p improves image... you will get different views on this, as ultimately your set upscales everything to it's own resolution anyway... but the visual improvement using 720p on my Oppo player compared to 480p is very noticable.

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    I asked a similar question a while back and the general response was 'don't bother' - although I had a more expensive progressive player.

Basically, you either scale up to 720p using a new DVD player, or the TV does it for you. If you have a good TV, its quite likely it'll do just as good a job, or might even do a better job, than a scaling player.

IMO these current players are just a stopgap - I'd save the precious HDMI/DVI socket for your Sky HD or bluray player for proper HD.

4. m1ket

m1ket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    ok thanks for that i may as well wait any idea when the HD players are released (i know the ps3 will have one in it) as i think the ps3 will be realesed over here late next year... will the actual stand alone players be before then?