Worth Upgrading From Premium To Elite?

Duel

Banned
Hi guys,

I'm going to replace my 360 Premium before the end of the year, when the warranty runs out. Seems like there is too high a risk of it failing and me being left with a useless expensive brick.

When I buy my new replacement is it worth getting the Elite or a Core (and keeping my hard drive, wireless controller etc.)? I don't need a 120GB Hard Drive (all I use the 360 for is games and watching DVDs). However, the black design will match up better with the rest of my AV systems. This in itself isn't a reason for upgrading. But I was wondering if the HDMI gives a noticable better picture than component and VGA?

I will be using a Samsung LE40M86BD and will play at 1080P output.

Hi guys,

I'm going to replace my 360 Premium before the end of the year, when the warranty runs out. Seems like there is too high a risk of it failing and me being left with a useless expensive brick.

When I buy my new replacement is it worth getting the Elite or a Core (and keeping my hard drive, wireless controller etc.)? I don't need a 120GB Hard Drive (all I use the 360 for is games and watching DVDs). However, the black design will match up better with the rest of my AV systems. This in itself isn't a reason for upgrading. But I was wondering if the HDMI gives a noticable better picture than component and VGA?

You do know you get 3 years warranty now mate?

A

AsherC

surely your warranty runs out last next year at the earliest?

m1ket

Hi guys,

Well its got a 3 year warranty on the main failure reason so im not sure why you are replacing it just in case...

But i would say the main reason for going for an elite are...

• You want a black console (lots of people have black only equipment)
  • You use the Video marketplace a lot (big HD files)

Duel

Banned
Damn, that's very good news! :thumbsup:

Thanks to all for letting me know.

One problem I may possibly have though is that I never registed the machine. I still have my receipt from Blockbuster but that's all.

ted26

Damn, that's very good news! :thumbsup:

Thanks to all for letting me know.

One problem I may possibly have though is that I never registed the machine. I still have my receipt from Blockbuster but that's all.

worry about that when the console has its 3rd birthday :)

They will ask you for the mod/serial number when you call ms for repair

Hkem

The reason I upgraded mine (beyond staff discount) was because I felt the 20GB HDD wasn't enough. Once i'd formatted it, there was only 13.9GB of usable space. What scares me is the size of demos recently and the amount of add-on packs/map packs around. They fill up 13.9gig very quickly, and add to that the potential size of GTA Episodic content! Better to upgrade than buy the £130 bigger HDD in a few months.

smokedog

Not worth upgrading. The Elite has the same problems as the Premium (Overheating - RLOD). Wait till the new revised version is out later this year.

KinkyAffro

Of course every answer so far has been valuable.
However, the one thing not been mentioned is are you made of money :smashin: Just joking mate but seriously i'm in the same boat as you and am seriously thinking of upgrading. Thing is £300 on a new machine is not an option, cant see me affording that in the near future. However trade in prices at the moment seem quite reasonable and if you do the right deal at the right place it could cost as little as £90 to get a brand new elite.

Waiting till xmas...january...65nm... what will the trade in be on an old premium then...£29.99?????

It's a tough one to 2nd guess but i suppose it depends if you've got a few spare 100's lying around to buy one outright.

Sorry to change the subject for a sec but while i'm on..... earlier post from RobDickinson (No.7). Rob Dickinson from New Zealand! If you read this mate, wouldn't be the same old Rob Dickinson i used to know on the RX8 forums few years ago by any chance?????
Bet it is!

RobDickinson

Sorry to change the subject for a sec but while i'm on..... earlier post from RobDickinson (No.7). Rob Dickinson from New Zealand! If you read this mate, wouldn't be the same old Rob Dickinson i used to know on the RX8 forums few years ago by any chance?????
Bet it is!

Yeah mate, that's me :D Dont think theres many other tech adicted habitual forum posters called RobDickinson ..

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom