Worth upgrading From Dali Opticon 6 mk 1 to mk 2, or to Rubicon 6?

Dali007

Hi,

My primary interest is music in stereo and surround, hence posting here rather than the Home Cinema section.

I currently run Dali Opticon 6 mk 1’s in a combined stereo and 5.0 set up with opticon 1’s and the opticon viokal centre. This is with the Arcam SA30 and Arcam CDS50, along with a Pioneer UDP LX-500 and Denon AVRX3400H. I use the HT bypass on the SA30 so that it runs the Opticon 6’s when playing any source in surround.

I have been very happy with this set up, but now the Opticon mk 2’s are out I’m curious to know how much of an improvement they offer. The other option could be upgrading to the Rubicon 6’s but matching the surround system with them would stretch my budget and I believe it may not be worth it as my room is fairly small and I do not have a lot of room to be able to position speakers out from the wall.

Has anyone compared the Opticon 6 mk 1 to mk 2?

Orobas

Hi,

My primary interest is music in stereo and surround, hence posting here rather than the Home Cinema section.

I currently run Dali Opticon 6 mk 1’s in a combined stereo and 5.0 set up with opticon 1’s and the opticon viokal centre. This is with the Arcam SA30 and Arcam CDS50, along with a Pioneer UDP LX-500 and Denon AVRX3400H. I use the HT bypass on the SA30 so that it runs the Opticon 6’s when playing any source in surround.

I have been very happy with this set up, but now the Opticon mk 2’s are out I’m curious to know how much of an improvement they offer. The other option could be upgrading to the Rubicon 6’s but matching the surround system with them would stretch my budget and I believe it may not be worth it as my room is fairly small and I do not have a lot of room to be able to position speakers out from the wall.

Has anyone compared the Opticon 6 mk 1 to mk 2?
There have been substantial improvements with the mk2 for sure over the mk1 which can be heard and is worth going out to have a listen too especially with that small £200 increase.. that is more than enough to tempt me to demo.

The Rubicon's are in a totally different class to the Opticon.. much more refined and smooth and offers more clarity.. but the budget and positioning requirements as you said.. may be an issue here.

I would say go and have a listen to the mk2 and decide if they are worth the upgrade to you.. or if you are only upgrading for the sake of it.. (ie.. oooh a mk2 model.. i must have it.) .. do you "need" to upgrade is what i am trying to say :)

Dali007

There have been substantial improvements with the mk2 for sure over the mk1 which can be heard and is worth going out to have a listen too especially with that small £200 increase.. that is more than enough to tempt me to demo.

The Rubicon's are in a totally different class to the Opticon.. much more refined and smooth and offers more clarity.. but the budget and positioning requirements as you said.. may be an issue here.

I would say go and have a listen to the mk2 and decide if they are worth the upgrade to you.. or if you are only upgrading for the sake of it.. (ie.. oooh a mk2 model.. i must have it.) .. do you "need" to upgrade is what i am trying to say :)

Wise words, thank you! There is certainly an element of “mk 2! I need the latest!”, but really I need to ask richer sounds if I can demo at home side by side with my mk 1’s. That will be the only way to provide an answer.

Orobas

Wise words, thank you! There is certainly an element of “mk 2! I need the latest!”, but really I need to ask richer sounds if I can demo at home side by side with my mk 1’s. That will be the only way to provide an answer.
There we go then! Yeah a side by side will give you the exact comparision.. but an in shop will give you a rough idea also.. so have a listen in store first . I do believe RS do the SA30 amp, just need to check it is at the store of your choice though.. then from the demo you can move to the home demo if need be

Dali007

Indeed, Richer Sounds stock the SA30 as I bought mine from them. Hopefully I can arrange a home demo as I find the acoustics in the demo room of my local store aren’t great.

password1

Distinguished Member
Ive not heard the mark 1 opticons but im.using older arcam amplification with opticon 6 mark 2 and i decided to keep them after a home demo but now i.want rubicon black edition.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom